Introduction

RemnantRider

Hi gang My name is mike /Remnant Rider I am new to the site and just wanted to say wuz up I enjoy the work they do at Attitude and registered to this page which is cooler than cool! any way i have a 04 sportster that was flamed great but the colors do not bring each other out they fight against each other is a good way to describe the way it looks the base was real red and the shop did tha flames in a dark orange and at first it looked ok liked a new car untill you had it awile then you start to see the things that could be better I am attempting to change the flames to a hot Rod style white to yellow to orange at the end to compliment the red base and i am thankful for all these how to"s and subscriber links and pics that you all have sent and if any of you know how to blend the above described colors please feel free to put me in the right direction I have succesfully installed a older batwing on my narrow glide Sportster 04 with 4.5 gal tank and it looks good I have the pics and will tell you more if you want that is why I value all of you because the info is so helpfull.I need to color match and flame the batwing and i wanted to do it myself so here i am, i have it primed and almost readt to base and stripe the flames but do not yet know how to blend colors but i am sure you all will help a dude out and get it done right thanks" Remnantrider":think1:

flamepain

glad to meet you.i have a 65 nova that was flamed just the way you like.but i have changed it.the white yellow red thing is easy.if you have painted before.(if not you can learn).first get some 1/8 fine line tape.apply your base color.tape out your flames.(i like to start at he tips but do what works best for you).the good thing with tape is you can do your layout over and over till you get the look your happy with.now prep wash the tank to get any oil and dirt off.spray on the white over half of the flames.next go with the yellow.aim the gun towards the tips(play with the gun a bit you can always start again if you dont like what your seeing).do the same with the red.as you get on to it you will find you can get a good even blend from one color to the next.when you like what you see demask and clear.one thing that looks deadly is a fine blue pinstripe border around the flames.after the clear sets up try the pinstripe tape and see what you think.(some people paint on the stripe).to eliminate lines and bumps sand the whole thing with 400 grit.(dont go through).re clear again .repeat until the edges are gone.i have outlined the prosess in a basic fashion for you so you can get the idea.please feel free to ask any questions you have on the details.good luck. post pics.cyas

RemnantRider

Thanks for the help !

Thank you flamepain That is kinda what i was thinking it is good that i can try it till i get it right I had one question? once you do a base coat whether you are striping or not should you sand the base before adding the clear? or will it stick just fine on its own? i ask Because i have read that somewere i always wondered if the scratches whould show through the clear if you did.I am a first timer with the urathane and profesinal grade stuff, I it might be easier for my level to draw the lines out then tape it around the outline that is why i ask if a coat of clear is ok before tha flame outline oooor if that was just for like a dual flame layout . i attached a pic of the Batwing i am working on if all goes well i will do the bike! Thank again !

Attachments

• 100_2403.jpg
    100_2403.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 11

flamepain

what a lot of guys do is spray a coat of intercoat clear on .this is a clear base coat and it alows you to fine sand your base before clear coat without marking the paint underneath.if your base is nice and clean (no cruds in paint) you wont have to do this.cleaecoat will go over base just fine without prep sanding.last night i made a mistake .i told you to clear the job and then try the blue pinstripe.when you get your fine line tape get the blue stuff.after you are done baseing demask the job .then try outlining you flames with the fine line.if you like what you see get some blue pinstripe tape and put it on and then start clear coating.if you dont just pull it off and continue on.check out the members galery on this site.you might get some good insight.good luck.cyas