Ingersoll-Rand or Campbell Hausfeld Compressor?

A

AlxxNova

I’m looking for a new compressor since my current 30 gal Sears one is just not cutting it anymore. Here are my two choices that I’m currently considering. I’d really appreciate any comments or tips on getting a new compressor.

Ingersoll-Rand 5 HP, 175 PSI, 60 gallon TS Series Vertical Air Compressors, Model # TS4L5.
15.6 CFM @ 175 PSI

Campbell Hausfeld 7 HP, 135 PSI, 60 Gallon Four Cylinder “Quad” Air Compressor. Model # CIQ71060V
14.3 CFM @ 135 PSI

I was set on getting the Ingersoll-Rand but I’m wondering about this “Quad” cylinder CH compressor. IR says that their compressor has a 100% duty cycle which was a good selling point to me after my 50% duty cycle of my current single stage unit. Or would I be better off with the 4 cylinder? They are both two-stage units. After I got my small Sears unit I was told I should have shopped for the most *cfm* I could afford. Is that the best way to shop for a compressor? Since these things are not cheap I need to make sure I’m making a good choice.

Anyway I’m looking forward to all the benefits of stepping up to a better compressor. Using the current one to try and run my blast cabinet has been less then a *blast*.

Thanks,
Alex

T

TAZ

I don't know if this it out of your budget, but we bought a 7 HP Porter-Cable 7HP 2-stage pump for our shop.
Here is some info on it here.
We paid $760 for it. We would have up to three air tools going at once and had no problem with it...that is, until it was stolen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry.gif
Once, that happened, I had no time to sprare on getting another one, so I ended up going to our local Sams Club, and they had a "Delta" compressor (never had heard of them until then). So I bought this one. The more I looked at it, the more I realized it was the *exact* same compressor as the Porter-Cable...same tank...same motor, pump, same fittings...same everything, just a different name slapped on it (but a different color). I also paid $760 for this one. They rated this at 6 HP though, but if you notice Porter-Cable is rated at 6 HP "running".
If you also notice, then "SCFM" is rated at 17.5, it also has the 80 gallon tank which is a good thing. Always better to have too much, then too little when it comes to air.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/peace.gif

A

AlxxNova

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying not to spend over $1,000 and didn't think I could get a dual stage 80 gallon for that price. This is the biggest item I've purchased so far and I need to make the right choice. Also I have no experience with compressors other then the single stage 30 gallon that I have now.

Just one more question. I noticed that the Porter Cable compressor has a 50 percent duty cycle as opposed to the Ingersoll Rand at 100 percent. Now with the PC does it not matter that it is only 50 percent since it has an 80 gallon tank? I know my blast cabinet and grinder can swallow up air so that was my main reason for looking toward the IR compressors since they advertise a 100 percent duty cycle. I figured the IR's could run anything in their CFM range as long as necessary without waiting for the tank to refill. Just wondering how much this duty cycle stuff should figure into my decision.

Sorry to hear about your compressor being stolen. That really sucks. There's gottta be a way to anchor it down so they can't remove it.

Thanks again,
Alex

T

TAZ

Alex,
I am not for sure on the duty cycle question...doing quite a bit of research...good job! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bigokay.gif
About all I could say, I know I could run three air tools at one time. Usually it would be 2 da's and one spray gun (if you want to figure out the total CFM's used). I'm sure I could run these constant.

Oh about the locking down the new compressor, I concreted this one in, along with another chain to the beam of the building. Of course I had the same chain last compressor, but...
Good Luck to you...I know IR is a very good brand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bigokay.gif

rex

Get the one with the higher CFM per same pressure.I don't understand the duty cycle part,welders have them and that's the point they shut down but I've never paid attention to if compressors have it because I don't see it's rellevance.It runs and builds pressure,you use it and it runs more to replenish the tank.If you're running a compressor motor full time I can see it as a spec., but if it's running full time your compressor is way too small for your needs.I didn't learn anything today so maybe someone can help out and keep the saying going. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif