info on water base paints

foxy300

i have heard alot about water base paints, has anyone ever painted a car useing these products? can the paints be wet sanded how about if you want to do some air brushing over it can that be done also? any info would be helpful thanks

martin3294

Yes to both of your questions, difference is you have to use P2000 grit to sand it down, you can use both urathane and acrylic airbrush paints over the waterbase as then you can and should use a urathane clear over the top of the finished base. Waterbase paint is a lot more finicky than solvent based paints and a different method is used to spray waterbase paints, it is a lot harder to spray a good job with waterbase as well as you need the right gear to flash off the paint. Also your preperation has to be 100% perfect to achieve the same finish as a solvent paint. We have to use waterbase paints here in the UK so unfortunately we are having to struggle with the change by law. But having said that once you get used to using it you can achieve as good a finish if not better with waterbase, just a bit tricky at first. I am now achieving good results but first attempts where disaster. Don't let your first attempts put you off waterbase paints it isn't as bad as you first try. They are just a bit different to use, once used to them they are fine.

andruel

E'TAC - waterbased paint

Hi Foxy,
By now you're probably aware of a relatively new waterbased paint, 'ETAC'..
I won't go on & on about it here, but in case someone's reading this and wishes to know more, I Will say that it's already changing the way artists (on all substrates) are thinking/working.. There are No Paid Testimonials - just genuine feedback from some of the biggest names :bigokay:

If you have any doubts, pleeaase check out the ETAC website:
http://www.etac-airbrush.com/ (especially the Forum); and
Beej's site (Beej is one of the UK's best.. 'the' best in the eyes of many..)
http://organicimage.com/

Sorry if this sounds like an advert for Etac, but genuine breakthroughs in technology do not come around that often.. And if it means we can paint in a healthier environment, that's good news too, right? (Hey, this stuff even Smells good! lol)

Luv the forum, btw.. back to wading through the posts.. :luck: