I need some expert advice

H

heather

Hi everyone,

I would like your expert advice. I have just recently started painting on metal (aluminum and steel) and I think I need a few pointers, I wish there were a class I could take for this.

Anyway, I have a few questions.
1) I want to know the best way to prepare metal for paitning and what ahedsion promoter you use or etch primer. I have been stripping, sanding, buffing, then adding a etch primer and the paint chips.

2 I wanted to the best way to paint designs on the metal without getting an edge on the paint? I have been sanding the paint after I painted the design, however I can't really notice an edge until after I put the hard clear coat on.

3) What is the best way to make the paint some what chip resistant?

I know these questions may sound trivial, however I am new so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Please email me at revelationinc@yahoo.com.
Thank you in advance for your time.

Heather

H

heather

Nver mind I found this site to be very infomative.

I have another question, should I bake the paint ontop of the etch and regular primer? Will the adheasion be better?

T

TAZ

Heather,
If you have access to a spray booth with an oven, I would take advantage of it. The baking process does not help it adhere any more to the primer.

To briefly answer your previous questions.
1) Most primers can be sprayed over bare metal, be sure and use a good metal cleaner before doing so. If you spray over aluminum, you should use a Zinc chromate primer.

2) The best way to get rid of an edge after doing a graphics (or flames)is to clear the panel with the graphics, then use a soft block (with about 1500 grit wet paper) and block the edges down, then of course scuff the rest of the clear, then apply a few more coats of clear. With ghost flames, you can usually get away with just applying the clear after the flames, then blocking and buffing (since the ghost flames are so thin). You won't need to add a second coat of clear.

3) Most of today's paints are very chip resistant. Just make sure that you let the basecoat dry properly. Otherwise you will have a fresh basecoat with a hardened clear. This will make it chip very easy. Use the manufacturers recommendations for this.
Enjoy!
Scott
cool.gif

H

heather

Thank you Scott for your reply I appreciate it very much! I don't have a spray booth with an oven. For what I am doing it wouldn't be cost effective, I will try the zinc though.

Thanks again.