i know this is a painting site but...

N

Nathan

yeah guys i got this 1974 h-d and i have a need for a new carb. is there anything wrong with putting like say a newer type of carb on there?
blush.gif

rex

I'm not much on the shovels but an S&S is a great carb.Do you have a big twin or Sporty?J&P cycles has very reasonable prices on a Super E kit that'll fix you up.Don't even think about the Super G unless you're running big inches or can flow some serious air and fuel.They do have quirks but the worst I find is the enrichner(or choke).unless you have a serious motor and need it to start,DON'T use it.Pump it twice and fire it,then keep it running by the throttle.Even on a wild motor turn it off as soon as the throttle will keep it running,man will it foul a plug quick.What's on yours now,an SU?

Jim

I have to agree with Rex,The Super E is a great carb.I put one on my 83 and it worked great . throttle response,acceleration and cold start ups all were better.Because it's much larger than stock,You'll notice how much less you need to turn the throttle too.Very simple tuning and your on your way.I kicked around the idea of a 90's CV carb,which alot of guys like ( can be reworked for race)and will work good but,it still ain't no S&S!Do yourself a favor and bite the bullet for a $325.00 S&S kit!

ezrider

To be honest with you guys Mikuni blows away any S+S carb on the market today. to get any S+S to work decent they need a thunder jet installed or elese you will have a flat spot abot mid range, the E works alright for stock and mild engine combos and The G is really only good for monster motors.i personally have the 42 mm flat slide (mikuni), 6 months after i bought it they released the 48 mm, what ya gonna do about it, right. made a big diffrence on my stock motor far as excelleration and start ups and lessend that famous HD cough. my new motor Has a 560 lift red shift cam ( more of a high torque cam than a high HP cam), Heads were ported by zippers, KB slugs 10.5 to 1, bringing the compresion ratio up to like 11.5 to 1 after squareing off the cylinders and milling the heads with the mikuni carb and it dose nothing but pull through the whole RPM range ( rev limmiter set at 6000) if you can hold tight enough
devil.gif

Jim

My buddy had a Mukuni and must not of tuned it right cause he had nothing but trouble with it.Before I got my S&S,I read some HD forems and people said those thunder jet kits just screwed up thier carbs and suggested not to waste the money.My shovel was rebuilt top to bottom but just punched out and a mild cam with polished heads,the S&S did me wonders,I had open fishtails and although it wasn't built to the hilt,it sure was fun!Good Luck with whatever carb you choose.

N

Nathan

hey guys thamks alot for those answers i think i will go with the s&s

buy the way i also have a 80's something suzuki dirt bike and the carb is out of make would a S&S work on that also? thanks alot for what ever answers

Jim

I would look in one of the motorcycle boneyards on the net and put a rebuild kit in a stock carb.I think those are Makuni carbs too,nothing like the street bike Makuni's.I think Yours is the type where the cable goes thru the top and lifts a slide with the needle on it.Unlike S&S,Mukuni makes carbs for alot of rides,my buddy has three on his new snowmobile.Maybe Makuni has a website, you could ask them what they have.But do you really want to spend that much for a new carb on an older dirt bike?I'd go with a stock one.

B

Bigdan1928

Depending on its cc's,most 80 through87 imports have the same intake bore.Any carb you can find that will bolt up of a equal size 2 stroke will run fine.If you are familliar with cars, they work like a preditor carb.The more it needs the more it givs. I got a 75 husky with a 1998 honda 250 flat slide carb on it. It rus awsome!Once you find one, Play around with the jetting and your off and away.If you tell me what year and size your bike is I can cross it at work.I work at extreem cycles part time and deal with this on a day to day baisis.Dont bother rebulding it, if it needs rebult your wasting your time.A goos used carb will only need cleaned and a little tuning for a 1/4 of the price.
2idea.gif