I have the runs

F

Flyer

I have layed down the "flow coat". I no longer have the orange peel problem I had before, but now I have a couple of places where the clear has ran. Do I just sand this down with the 1500, or does anyone have a better plan?

TIA,
Kyle

R

Ray Galetti

Flyer,
A couple of things I have learned during my short experience with learning to paint. First, if you have a run, you can sometimes take a piece of tape while it is still wet and lay the tape on the run and press it out.
Also, I use a HVLP gun, and set the flow wide open with a wide fan spray, I turn the air down to about 25 PSI, and have gained great results.
Yes, you can sand it out and go again, I use a scotch brite pad, and have had no problems with it, goes much faster than sand paper.

Ray

T

Tibbo

Flyer
Even the best of us gets the odd run or two, the problem (if they are severe) is when trying to sand them out, it can result in rub throughs either side of the run. There are cutters and shavers available, but some skill is required to use these properly. Here is my tip for sanding out runs. Use 1/4 inch blue fine line tape applied close to both sides of the run, apply further strips of tape to protect the surrouding paint, sand out with 1200 or 1500 until you cut down to the fine line tape, remove the tape and finish with 1500 - 2000.

rex

If it's a heavy run,blockung with 1200 or fine usually won't totally eliminate it but you have to look to see the wave.I lightly block it with 600 and stop just shy and 800 until I just touch the side surfaces and finish with 1500.If it's in a hard to work area or you think you might sand through or remove too much material in the process,600 it down and reclear it.Remember paint flows away from an edge and high crown areas.Everyone gets a run or sag sometime.

ezrider

I agree with Rex this method works the best for me
bigokay.gif

T

thumper5864

I also agree wi
bounce.gif
Rex. It happens to all of us at one time or another. NO MATTER HOW GOOD YOU ARE.
bounce.gif