hvlp spray gun questions.....Please help.

chevyracer8262

I've been out of painting cars for 10-15yrs and now I'm looking to get back into it cause I have some buddies wanting me to paint my car and there's so I'm in need of some advice.. I'm looking to purchase a couple decent sprayers for around $250 total... I started out painting with an old binks model 7 so I've been looking into the binks guns and found a Binks BHV waterborn compatable hvlp gravity gun comes with a 1.3 and 1.4mm nozzel for $138 and a devilbiss starting line primer gun w/1.8mm nozzle for $75. Are these good guns or is there better guns in that price range? I'm looking to spray 2k eurathane, acrylic enamal, acrylic primer and acrylic sealer..... So please any advice would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
Welcome to the Custom Paint Forum and welcome back to painting. There are numerous threads concerning decent cheaper spray guns. You can do a search on this by search for best gun, cheaper gun, good basecoat gun....

Especially the Devilbiss Starting Line
gun.

chevyracer8262

Ok I searched around some but still couldn't find any information on the Binks BHV that I mentioned in the original post, has anyone ever used this gun or know anyone who has? Or how about the Devilbiss starting line primer gun? Someone please help me out cause I'll have the money to make the purchase's by the end of next week and I don't want to buy something that's crap or inadaquate for my needs....

Thank's

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't heard of the Binks BHV. Been painting for 25 years+. Really the only Binks I've used was the Binks 7 back in the day, so I really can't help you out there. I don't recall that gun being mentioned on this forum either (it might have been though).
I looked the Binks BHV
up ebay and they seem reasonably priced. Actually kind of cheap. Binks has a good reputation.
I'd probably go The Devilbiss Starting Line
if I had my choice of the cheaper guns. Just my input though. I've been through many of the Devilbiss guns in the day.

Hopefully another member can give more input on those two guns for you

LudicrousSpeed

I have a Devilbiss GFG, and love it. It is not HVLP, but supposed to be HVLP compliant. I am not in the business, so it doesn't matter to me. I bought a couple startingline guns to use as base and primer guns, and they are awesome for the price, and easy to use. So add another vote for them.

Keep in mind, if you are not doing this for a living, you will probably be throwing away money buying an expensive gun like an Iwata, for the amount you will use it. IMO, of course

chevyracer8262

Well after reading reviews and lots of info on several different forums as well as contacting the Devilbiss Tech line, I finally made the decision on my topcoat gun I'm going to buy the Devilbiss FLG-4 Waterborn value kit which is $167.61 and I'm looking at those cheap Harborfreight Central Pneumatic Professional 94572 gun set for a primer gun which is $49.99, anyone have any thoughts on those guns? I've read their a copy of the Devilbiss Starting line guns and even that Devilbiss parts would fit it. Or could someone recommend a good primer gun in the $50-75 range cause at the moment that's all i can afford after buying the FLG and accessories...

Thanks, for all the input so far.

tomsteve

Well after reading reviews and lots of info on several different forums as well as contacting the Devilbiss Tech line, I finally made the decision on my topcoat gun I'm going to buy the Devilbiss FLG-4 Waterborn value kit which is $167.61 and I'm looking at those cheap Harborfreight Central Pneumatic Professional 94572 gun set for a primer gun which is $49.99, anyone have any thoughts on those guns? I've read their a copy of the Devilbiss Starting line guns and even that Devilbiss parts would fit it. Or could someone recommend a good primer gun in the $50-75 range cause at the moment that's all i can afford after buying the FLG and accessories...

Thanks, for all the input so far.

welp, if you could hold off and save some $$ for the primer gun, i would say look at another finishline. check yer local craigslist,too.
if the flg-4 is anything like the flg-3, yer gonna like it. i started with the starting line kit. learned about gun setup and control on it and was gettin pretty good results. then upgraded to the flg-3. major improvement. better atomization and fan pattern.
so, then what happened( and may happen for you some day) i upgraded to the copper tekna. wow!! awesome gun! lays metallics awesomely and i hear its the same for pearls and kandies. cc lays like glass.

chevyracer8262

Tomsetve, I totally agree with you on that my intention is to buy the harbor freight set for right now so I can get started working on my buddies Elcamino this weekend and put away a little cash each week till I have enough saved up to buy another FLG-4 for use as a primer gun... As it is I'm already having to spend $255+shipping on this FLG-4 kit, new 3/8" air hose (to dedicate for paint only), Devilbiss gun regulator, 2ea Milton "V" series high flow couplers and 8ea Milton "V" series high flow male plugs for my initial paint setup. So I'm trying to save a few dollars buying the HF gun for primer to get buy till I can afford another FLG-4, and i found out a few minutes ago that I can apply a 20% coupon I got in my email toward it so it's only $39.99+tax now.

I know I hadn't mentioned my ait setup in any earlier posts, but i have a craftsman 60 gall 6.5hp twin cly compressor (which I just finished completely rebuilding/upgrading) with an autodrain kit, then 3/8" shutoff vlv, then steps up to 1/2" scho 40 pvc from the compressor room about 30' into the main shop before it hits the dual 3/8" Kobalt brand filters then to the 3/8" 4 port regulator then to the rest of the air connections i have plumbed throughour the shop. I've been thinking about tapping in and running another line to a desscant filter just for painting, any thoughts for improvements?

I really appreciate all input/suggestions/criticism

tomsteve

one thing i do when i got to shoot: drain the tank in the morning. then when im ready, i crack the drain justa bit and leave it open, not a lot, just enough to drain any moisture buildup.
also, dont know how ya got the intake for the filters on the compressor, but if the compressor is in the same area as where yer painting, ya may want to run some intake lines to a fresh air area. also want to keep paint spray out of the motor.
not a bad idea to have a dissicant filter.

chevyracer8262

Yea that drain tricks something my uncle whom taught me to paint does, I know for fact it works.... My shops setup so I have a 8' x 15' tool/clean room between my 19' x 24' main work area and my ventilated 3' x 4' compressor room I built on the back of my shop so the compressors got clean fresh air plus all the noise is isolated from the work areas. I forgot to mention the cheap harbor freight air filter at the tank... Here's some pics of the shop a few months ago after I don't have anything more recent but since these I've enclosed the sides and ran power and lights inside it... Also pics of the original sleeves and compression rings I changed out.... I bought all new chrome plated sleeves and nachi 3 side rubber sealed ball bearings... Runs better and quieter now than it did when I bought it new back in 99.. Well I went today and picked up the harbor freight sprayer set and regulator with a 2yr replacement warranty for $60.17 out the door...

IMG_05751_zps82f1fa36.jpgIMG_05821_zpsb3fda044.jpgIMG_05831_zps581c6f6f.jpgIMG_0528_zpscc0f05c0.jpg IMG_05731_zps6577aae5.jpg

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
If that's all you can afford for a gun, then you really don't have an option.
$50-$75 is extremely cheap for a gun (even a primer gun). It may just get you by, but don't expect great results with it.

Never use that Devilbiss gun, so I can't comment.

Looks like your line setup will be fine. I like the sounds of the autodrain. Never seen that.
I don't use a desiccant filter. I only have some Sharpe water traps (forget the part number). I have 5 of these throughout my lines along with steel pipes.
Never had an issue with fisheye or oil.

TomSteve has some good points. Make sure all lines and the compressor are drained before painting.

Possibly even buy the 'filter ball's that go on the end of tools and guns. You can put on on your primer gun and your spray gun.

chevyracer8262

Yea I unstand what your saying about the cheapo guns and I was reluctant to get the harbor freight stuff, but I need something to get the primer sprayed on that Elcamino so I can get it out of my way so I start bringing in some more paying jobs... Like I said once I get that first FLG-4 I'll be saving to buy either a better gun or at least get the primer version of the FLG-4... My main objective at the moment is to get this one finished and funds are very limited at the moment... I've bought a few things from harbor freight and more often than not I've been disapointed with their stuff so I know better than to to expect much out of that cheapo gun set. I did a few nights of reading different forums and such on those guns before I decided to purchase them, I guess I'll find out tomorrow how well they spray whem I use them to shoot some hotrod black primer on a removable bed panel..
IMG_06451_zps9670bfac.jpgIMG_06471_zps7626ff72.jpgIMG_06482_zpscc70563e.jpg

Last edited:

chevyracer8262

Ok I got in both of my Devilbiss FLG-4 sprayers and I've been trying to figure out how to set that regulator/air valve (HAV-501) that came with the sprayers... Can someone please explain to me the procedure for setting those valves? I've tried everything that I've found online and i still havn't been able to get that gauge to read 23psi like the gun recomendations call for. Can Someone Please help me out...