How to paint under a grill/louver

Jeffrey8164

9ABC7D36-F215-4B28-A3CA-9F7D5000312E.jpg9ABC7D36-F215-4B28-A3CA-9F7D5000312E.jpg

Im not sure how well anyone can see those air vents on the back but I’m trying to figure out how to get paint underneath them. Is there some weird spray thingy that will fit between or is there a way to heavily spray then wipe off the outside? Any advise is appreciated

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

Are you talking between the fins or are you talking 'underneath'?
Underneath, of course you will need to go from the underside and paint
If you are talking in between the fins, you'll need to mask off the area around and spray left, right, forward and backwards.

I'm probably missing what you are wanting, just jotting down tips :)

Jeffrey8164

It is hard to describe. Beneath the fins is another piece of the metal decklid. I'll get some better pictures shortly but in essence there is something beneath the fins that needs to be painted. There is no way to paint it from underneath as the surface below the fin is facing you when you look at it from above. I have to litterally try to spray a flat surface through these fins.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I think I know what you are talking about. It's just a tray or part of the bracing to keep water from going into the compartment.
I can't think of a way you can paint this through the the fins.
If you plan on painting it black, possibly you can buy some enamel and hardener and remove the deck lid and pour that between a couple fins and move the deck lid around to make it all consistent

Or if you are looking for show quality, cut out the bottom piece, prep and paint it off, tack weld it and mold it back in.

Or mask up each fin and spray through them.

Jeffrey8164

There is no easy answer. I've seen them done but I don't think it was a base and a clear. I think it was just an enamel solid color.
It just looks incomplete or unfinished in it's current state. But you do have to be up on it to see it.