How to paint ghost flames

B

bttdoyle

I have done a few flame jobs and I am never really happy with the way that my ghost flames turn out. I was wondering if someone could give me a few pointers on how to help them keep there ghostly effect. What is the best mixing ratio for spraying the ghost flames?

J

Jay

First off, where in OK are you?

When I mix the color for ghost flames, I just mix (well I use the butt end of a paint stick to scoop the pearl out) about 1/8" of the paint stick in about 1/2 pint of ready-to-spray clear. This seems to give a satisfactory mixture to me. When spraying, I hold the gun about 12"-18" away from the part and sort of mist it on. I do about 3 coats like Scott told me too. When I did it, it dried in about the 1 hour b/c it was so thin. Unfortunately when I did this, I used white pearl and painted on a white hood. Never use similar colors. But anyways, before I cleared it, the flames were perfect, as far as consistency of the pearl and coverage. I don't know if I did it wrong or something but they were real rough, kinda like spraying just a non-enamel base coat. I mean they were smooth but kinda felt like sandpaper. But once I cleared them, they turned out smooth. Hope any of this helps.