How to get THIS great effect on aluminum

zlivewire

Hi all,new to this great forum
getting my son and i into airbrushing.
What do you think is the right type of paints to use to get this type of great effect,something that allows the swirl marks to bleed through.Tried auto air opaque and semi,transparent without any luck.Perhaps a candy,which my local art store doesn't carry.Any help would really be appreciated.
also have a badger 360 and some paasche p-63 are these the right guns to be doing this kind of semi big work 3'x5' nothing much bigger.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqNHJBsE-+mI+KfoBP38yDSW4!~~60_3.JPG
    $(KGrHqNHJBsE-+mI+KfoBP38yDSW4!~~60_3.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum.
I would guess they took a raw piece of alum or steel, did their spin work. Then used candies over it. Pretty much any candy would give you the transparent color effect.
You just need to adjust and control how much to apply over the metal.

zlivewire

Thanks,guess i have to find somewhere online to order from,as my local art stores think carrying a full line of beads and stick on crap selection,not to mention the full line of martha stewart crap makes one an art store
How are we to inspire the next generation of artist and craftsman by showing them that this crap is what is needed to produce relevent art.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Try TCP Global, I've ordered quite a few times from them.
Or do a Google search for House of Kolor Kandy colors. There are several online places that sell candy colors.

I would think there would be a local jobber close to you being that you live in NY

tomsteve

Thanks,guess i have to find somewhere online to order from,as my local art stores think carrying a full line of beads and stick on crap selection,not to mention the full line of martha stewart crap makes one an art store
How are we to inspire the next generation of artist and craftsman by showing them that this crap is what is needed to produce relevent art.[/QUOTE

sounds like yer local art store is more of a chain craft store. that is done with automotive paints. theres places like TCP global online, but just remember that the color you see on a monitor will not be the same color the paint actually is. it is best to find a jobber and look though some chip books.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, good advice TomSteve.

You should be able to get something very close to that though.

I also agree about your local shop...it does sound more like a crafts store than a paint jobber.
Quite a few online that provide great service.

zlivewire

thanks for all the great advice,stopped by ureltech? in midtown manhatten,no candy colors at all,but nice store

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Great to hear. They should have everything you need to 'help' you get that effect.

JimmyG

I have used fine grit "sanding discs" in 2" & 3" size that fit on my angle die grinder to made swirls on aluminum similar those swirls pictured...The ones in picture look like maybe done with the edge of a spinning sanding disc....

The angle die grinder sanding discs I use are like these... http://www.tcpglobal.com/3m/3m101-4.aspx

I have the 1",2" & 3" Disc Pad Assembly in each size...I usually start using the 3" size discs with various grinding stuff and when the disc edges get worn out (before the center does), I cut them down to 2" size with heavy shears....swith to 2" pad assembly and on with more grinding...2" disc when worn gets cut down to 1" size disc...
Saves alot of money over time and uses up all of the sanding grit area on the discs....

:)~

LudicrousSpeed

I have used fine grit "sanding discs" in 2" & 3" size that fit on my angle die grinder to made swirls on aluminum similar those swirls pictured...The ones in picture look like maybe done with the edge of a spinning sanding disc....

The angle die grinder sanding discs I use are like these... http://www.tcpglobal.com/3m/3m101-4.aspx

I have the 1",2" & 3" Disc Pad Assembly in each size...I usually start using the 3" size discs with various grinding stuff and when the disc edges get worn out (before the center does), I cut them down to 2" size with heavy shears....swith to 2" pad assembly and on with more grinding...2" disc when worn gets cut down to 1" size disc...
Saves alot of money over time and uses up all of the sanding grit area on the discs....

:)~

That is a great, money saving idea!

jdean

I,d like to meet the guy that did the grinding (talented) looks more to me like possibly a little well thought out texture from grinding, Notice how the substrate effect appears like a bunch of little tubes, more than likely air brushed with a darker gray alum.. color, cleared/ sanded and a few shades of candy here and there. Always use an adhesion promoter over the bare metal like H.O.K. adhereto. Unmasking the piece w/o it could most certainly ruin your day.