how to get this effect

B

black240

first, nice new site scott!
could u give me some tips on how to get my flames to look like this :
mikeflames.jpg

i know spray blue first, then white over it, but is there any type of technique or something to make the middle white and diffuse out to the edges like that? i think i would mess it up and not be able to get the edges even if it is just freehand. any advice?
thanks,
mike

Attachments

• version_4.jpg
    version_4.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 16,704
B

Bingham

I reckon you should get Scott to do it , he seems to know his stuff

T

TAZ

Mike,
First you will need to spray your flames completely *white*, then you will need to find you a nice bright blue (probably a metallic would work best), then you will need to "over reduce" the blue. This means you will need to add a little more reducer then the manufacturer recommends. Once you reduce this turn down both your fluid and your fan adjustments on your gun (an air-brush works best for this, but you can use a regular spray gun). Then you will need to *lightly* spray around all the edges. Just follow the outline of the flames with your gun. The secret is to have a very small spray, and just kind of mist it in to give it the fade effect.

Since the metallic blue is transparent, and you are spraying over a white, the more coats your spray on, the darker your blue "fade" will get. I would recommend about 2-3 coats. You don't want to go overboard on the coats, because you will loose the "Fade" effect.
Hope this helps!

By the way, the flames you have in your post look exactly like the printable practice flames found on this site. Did you download them and change them in a graphics program?

Enjoy!
Scott F

B

black240

yeah, those ARE the practice flames
smile.gif

is there any way except practice that will make the edges turn out even? like a mask thats raised above the surface or someing?
thanks,
mike

T

TAZ

Mike,
A couple of things might help. One, use an air-brush since some of the flames will be tight. Another is follow *right* on the tape edge of the flames, don't spray inside the flames. Let the overspray do the work, thus making the nice fade.

Scott