How long before clearing

P

purplewg

How long do I have to clearcoat after laying down the basecoat? I plan to spray a urethane base from PPG with flames. This means I will be spraying two base colors. This will take some time, mask, wait for first color to set, mask, wait for second color to set, unmask, spray clear.

Great site, good information.

T

TAZ

I believe with the PPG system the "clearcoat window" is 48 hours. I really haven't ran into this problem, so I am not for sure.

After spraying the 1st base color, you shouldn't have any problems laying the next color after an hour or so. This is of course you are using their basecoat/clearcoat system and not a single stage paint, like their DG line.

If you go ovet the 48 hour time, I would suggest using a coat of adhesion promoter.

R

Roy

I'm using PPG Deltron DBC and it specifically states "must clear within 24hr". I think the easy way around this is to shoot a single clear over it within this time frame if your not done with the graphics. You should have compatability then. Polyesters (base) and urethane (clear)meld chemically. In order to get all of your coats to meld (prevent delamination)clear within the time the product data sheet says. I lost many a nights sleep worrying about this exact thing. Roy