How do you handle corners and edges?

cwrandolph

I've done some buffing a few years ago and learned the hard way to stay away from edges. So how are these areas compounded and polished? Do you do it by hand? Do you use the same stuff (rubbing & polishing liquid) that you use with the power tool? Any help is appreciated.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like something happened? Did you burn through or melt the paint, sand through?
I treat an edge just like any other area. Wetsand it, then buff it. Be sure and have the buffer rotating off the edge, not into it.

tomsteve

i will mask off all edges that i might break through when sanding. then i use a rotary with megs 105 for the entire vehicle. then i go to my pc 7424, an orange lake country foam pad and 105, then onto megs 205 and an orange pad. any small areas are done with a 3" pad. been workin pretty good for me and excellent results. well, i blew out some edges wet sanding and buffing before i started taping em off.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
tomsteve,
Have you ever used the 3M 6085 compound? If you have, how does it compare to the Meguiars M105?

tomsteve

cant say as i have. one thing i noticed with the 105 though. it dusts up pretty quick in warmer temps. in cooler temps i have a longer working time with it.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
hmmm, interesting. I'm going to order a quart and check it out.
it's pretty hot in our shop though...Can't hurt trying. Thanks for the input

tomsteve

it is rather expensive, but i get great results with it. wasted a LOT of product learning! i did a lot of studyin on using megs and other products and saw a lot on pad priming. after gettin a lil frustred witht he amount of product i sude, but lovin the result, i decided to try using the 105 without primin my pads. lo and behold my product usage was cut drastically and i was still gettin great results!
i like to follw up with 205 and i ( and the people i detail for) love the clarity, gloss and shine. now i'm gonna start checkin out sealants. been usin yellow wax but hear sealants last longer.

jdean

always tape your edges after color sanding, buff the vehicle, remove the tape and CAREFULLY buff the rest. Be conscious at all times the direction the pad is spinning to avoid catching edges and corners. a multiple speed buffer cant be beat, you can lower the rpm in those scary area's ,feel more confident, and never burn through.

hoss

Sounds like something happened? Did you burn through or melt the paint, sand through?
I treat an edge just like any other area. Wetsand it, then buff it. Be sure and have the buffer rotating off the edge, not into it.

he he he, Why taz? i think everyone has had that "OH &*$&*%*((#*$*#" moment. luckly after the part stopped skidding accross the floor it wasn't dammaged. good thing i buff things in my living room w/ my carpeted floors! JK! he he

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
he he he, Why taz? i think everyone has had that "OH &*$&*%*((#*$*#" moment. luckly after the part stopped skidding accross the floor it wasn't dammaged. good thing i buff things in my living room w/ my carpeted floors! JK! he he

:haha: :haha:

More great advice jdean :cheers: