How do I paint over chrome?

P

PeteRambo

I'm getting ready to repaint my bike. I've sanded the frame, molded the welds, etc... It came with chromed swingarms, and a chromed box under the seat. I want to paint them but am not sure how to prep them. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pete

T

TAZ

I've had to paint a few chrome parts. I have the chome stripped of (sand blasted), then treat them as regular bare metal.

M

Motornoggin

The only way you can be absolutly sure of good adhesion when painting chrome is to have it completely removed (reverse plating), but this process costs exactly the same as having the part chrome plated $$$. The next best thing you can do if complete removal is not an option (cost, logistics, EPA, etc...) is to sand blast it so it is rough. I have had decent results with sand blasting, but not quite as good as when the chrome is gone. I would say about 85% to 90% as good.
wink.gif

T

TAZ

"Motornoggin" is right, sandblasting works, but it is rough. Quite a bit of work to get it back smooth.

P

PeteRambo

I assume then that I can take a die grinder with 120 grit paper and strip to bare metal?

Many thanks for the help...

Great site...

Pete

M

Motornoggin

You could try to sand the chrome off. Chrome is EXTREMELY hard and I can bet it won't be a fun job to sand it off. Might be worth a try though if you have the time and the extra sandpaper.
wink.gif