How can I make a Matte Paint Job be shiny and glossy instead.

Gabriel

Hi all Im a new guy here.
I was wondering... I have a 1966 Econoline that I bought with a matte paint job.
How can I make this paint job be shiny and have that new car look. This Matte paint job was actually sprayed with a Spray gun and is in really good condition.

Will it shine if I Spray a couple “gloss 2k clear coats” on it using a spray gun?
Or will it matter that the paint underneath is matte?
Do I have to completely do a new paintjob? I just really want that wet gloss shiny.
I dont know what i would have to do to achieve this? Do I need something else to do over my current paint job before I try anything?
Any advice is welcome ! AA814A19-C4E4-44C4-91F4-6A3F9A452890.jpegAA814A19-C4E4-44C4-91F4-6A3F9A452890.jpeg

chopolds

You can just spray clearcoat over it. The problem becomes: for the paint to adhere to the underlying paint, you should sand it. But then you will see sanding marks, or scratches. You really should put a coat of color over the sanded surface first, then put the clear on it. If you don't sand, the clear will probably peel off.

CashiWaku

I know little about cars but everything about painting, and kinds of paint. I started by a painting by numbers; now it is my best hobby. When I need to get my work done, I increase the oil in my paint. There’s a special paint for that. Though this variant doesn’t fit a car, I still got an option for you. First, you should paint the neutral paint (I mean structure, but color) over the mate one. Then, when you get the base, you could apply some shiny spray paint over it (check which ingredients it has and if it contains some oils; it is important). My brother did it that way lately, and it looked good. Though h applied the shiny paint over the common one

Last edited:

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
If you're going to just paint clearcoat over it, you might as well do the whole deal. Either with a cheaper single stage or with a basecoat/clearcoat.