Homemade Spray booth

Eddie e30

Hi guys long time reader seldom poster... Im thinking of building a Homemade spray booth in the near future. Im from the middle of Ireland so weather is s**t at best:sillyme:. i already own a garage that has concrete floors and is watertight. Has anyone on here built one?? any advice would be great!!!!

Cheers
Eddie

LudicrousSpeed

As a hobbyist, and not someone who paints regularly, I have done it in the past many times.

I start by scrubbing the floors really well, and using Dawn soap to help clean it, then brooming it out and using a squeegee. Then I hang plastic from the ceiling to the floor, covering all the shelves and clutter. I make a doorway, and I have a couple large fans that I use to exhaust out the door. Luckily, I am in an area I can get away with this. If painted more than a couple times a year, I would have to look into making a real booth.

I usually set the garage door on a 2x4 and spray down the outside really well, and respray it each time I let the paint flash. This helps catch the dust that may blow in the door.

I have had surprisingly good results doing this.

Eddie e30

As a hobbyist, and not someone who paints regularly, I have done it in the past many times.

I start by scrubbing the floors really well, and using Dawn soap to help clean it, then brooming it out and using a squeegee. Then I hang plastic from the ceiling to the floor, covering all the shelves and clutter. I make a doorway, and I have a couple large fans that I use to exhaust out the door. Luckily, I am in an area I can get away with this. If painted more than a couple times a year, I would have to look into making a real booth.

I usually set the garage door on a 2x4 and spray down the outside really well, and respray it each time I let the paint flash. This helps catch the dust that may blow in the door.

I have had surprisingly good results doing this.

Im looking at making a perminent or semi perminent booth... i need advice on fans heating system dust prevention and light

Thanks for your reply fella:bigokay:

bondofreak

Explosion proof fans. High dollar items....

Infra red heat and curing lamps....how much money you have to spend?

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, they only show the actual booth. Don't forget that you'll have building permits, electrical, fire suppression system, and the building of the booth.
A $7000 booth can get up to $18000 pretty quickly.
I have two cross-flow spray booths that ran about $32000

LudicrousSpeed

Wow! That is exactly why I stick to the "hobbyist" title.... I don't have that much money to invest in something that I will not be using to make my living off of, lol

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
lol. Actually my first booth was an old Binks crossflow. Only paid $2000 for it, but cost me even more to get it set up and permitted. Almost wouldn't pass inspections because it was an older booth.
That's the booth that got me off the ground though.
Ended up selling that for $2000 and moved to a larger shop in the same business part. That's when I bought the other newer booths.

You can get away with things if you live in a smaller city, but in a bigger city, you have to do it right, or it will end up biting you.

tomsteve

welp, the links were to provide an idea of the type of fans, lighing, and accessories that go into a booth. i have seen (and helped build one)
in garages. the one i helped build was partitioned off in a garage. metal roofing that was bought at discount due to factory flaws in the finish was used on the walls and ceiling,, lighting bought at auction, and fans and accessories bought from a shop that closed were used and it works very good. even the lumber to frame up the wals was purchased secondhand. there was an extreme cost savings by doin it that way and he was able to cunstruct it to fit his needs.

LudicrousSpeed

I have seen several booths made inside of garages that were built to stay. They worked quite well.

As far as the permits, etc, there is no way around it if you want to be a legit business.

Damian400

I have seen several booths made inside of garages that were built to stay. They worked quite well.In according to me,Only paid $4000 for it, but cost me even more to get it set up and permitted.

Bnemo

Here's what I did for a semipermanent spray booth
I did this about 2-3 yrs ago when I started painting my own bikes. I need a booth to do the job right, but I couldn't really justify a permanent booth since my painting would be periodical at best...so I came up with a 'convertible' paint booth .
Started by cleaning out a corner of my garage and putting a 8' x 12' 'ceiling' up....

Then I built an 8' x 8' wall and a 4 x 8' wall and hinged those two together so I had a section that was 8 x 12 with a 4' "door" on on end.
Then I took that and mounted it up to the outside edge of the 'ceiling''

here it is with the 'door' opened.

Next I made a wall section that was 8 x 8, (actually it was just a tad narrower than 8') and hinged that at the top of the 'open end' of the booth. Then I put some deadbolt type latches toward the bottom of the wall and a small metal plate on each 'wall' to aligin with the dead bolts. that made it so I can swing the 'end wall' up into the booth and latch it out of the way..

I then cut a hole in the outside wall and mounted an old squirrel cage blower to the outside, and put an opening the size of a furnace filter in the hinged wall..

Works great! now I have my paint booth when I need it...

and my storage space during the winter/summer months as well

Last edited:

Colonel clank

I realize this thread is 3 years old but need to thank bnemo for sharing the convertible bike booth idea. I have been stashing materials for a booth build and got one of my hvac buddies to score a residential furnace blower. Folding panels are an excellent idea.