Hok paints

S

Sioux

Well i am new to this all ( not the airbrushing but custom ) and i would like to ask a question.what does the reducer do to the basecoat of Hok ? is it just the drying time ? and when using the kandys ,is the intercoat clear just for thinning the color ,and whats the big difference between the Kandy bases and Koncentrates ,whats best for painting flames? thx ,great site!!

S

sw engineering

Hok's kandy basecoats are actually a combination of kandy and pearls. With the pearl added it covers fast (or aleast faster) than a straight kandy but it still resembles a kandy not a pearl.
Kandy K's when mixxed with interclears are much more transparent. When you keep laying it on it will turn black, where as the bc Kandy will turn more opaque.
As far a spraying KK's straight w/reducer I don't know if you can do it or not, I've never tried. Maybe someone else has tried it or knows....anyone?
Which one is best for flames?....their both intermixable so there is endless colors...and it depends on what type of flame effect your looking for....BC K will give you a more solid,flakey,opaque color. KK with interclear will be more transparent and give you more flexablity to control an effect. .......the combinations are endless, ...mix BC k w/inter, tint BC K w/KK....blah,blah. Look at Scott's examples. He lists what used for paints and that should give you the idea

S

sbCountry

This is what I have learn from Coast Airbrush on the KK subject. As for spraying KK without intercoat clear, I think the KK needs the intercoat clear for adhesion. By itself it may not adhere to your project.

S

Sioux

OK i thought the same on the Kandys and the intercoat ,thx for that . Now the last question is that if i use the Hok base coats (white and black ) it says you should mix with reducer , is that only for drying time ? Is it always required with that ? Or can you give me some other good solid basecoats advise on using black or white .( please some more info on wich serie number etc ,I am from Europ (Holland)

rex

Hey now,that's more than 'a question'
haha.gif
The reducer thins the base so it's easier to atomize by the gun and it controls the drying time,but use the reducer that is recommended for the temperature you'll be spraying in.Using above or below the right one can cause problems.I can't answer the other questions but Scott and EZRider will be back Monday.

rex

You definately want to reduce the basecoat or it will spray like stucco(really thick and lumpy).You don't have to use white or black though,you can use any color base you want to get a diferent color or look,but spray out a small test panel first to see what it looks like first.Hope this helps.

S

Sioux

Ok thx a lot ! I thought the only solid basecolor of Hok where the Black and white..
many greetz !!