Hidden Flames

J

Jacked

I seen a Willis that was pearl blue and when you got to just the right angle to the car Flames would appear as if out of no were. Can someone explain how to create this effect?

hoss

i would think that if there were 2 color shift paints, that they both had one color in common. from one angle they would be the same color, and the other would show the flames popping out??

T

TAZ

or they could have used a 'color shift' color that looked the same as the base color at one angle, then another angle, it would have contrast against the blue base.

LudicrousSpeed

I achieved the same thing with a dry pearl. Mixed it with mixing clear and airbrushed it on.

In one light, it had nothing, but when you walked the length of the car and looked at it, they popped out.

dreamer

Mica clear.BASF used to make it.I still have a little of the blue,and copper mica.Also might be a reflex color.They are transparent until light hits them.

Jive 65

Hi guys, newb here. I've done some paint in the past on bikes & a few cars. I have a fair hand for applying base & clear. I'm currently building a 65 El Camino, 4" chop, 2" drop. This truck is going to be done in Cadillac light platinum and I would like to try this hidden flame effect.
If I understand what LudicrousSpeed explained he simply applied a pearl enhanced clear over the entire flame pattern with no shading on the edges. If that's the case would I wetsand and clear coat the entire job once this flashes?
I do have an old door I'll try this on first!
Am I getting this right or can someone expand on this, or another method?
Thanks! :think1:

Last edited:

flamepain

depending on what strenght you want the flames this is what i'd do.base the entire tank the color of your choice.lay out your flames.add a matching color pearl to that same base.(you can use any color pearl experiment a bit).spray over your layout.(more coats stronger flames).demask,2 coats clear.wet sand 1500 grit .two to three coats clear.1500 grit polish.everyone has his own technique. this works for me.good luck

Jive 65

Thanks for the input flamepain. I have an old car door I'm going to shoot when I do the door jambs & other inside stuff. I'll experiment with that. I do like the hidden pop out effect as you walk by and the light shifts, I'll see what effect more coats has per your suggestion.

LudicrousSpeed

Sorry I missed your post.........

What I did was take some Russet red pearl and mix it into an intercoat clear (Dupont calls it a binder) approx 1.5 oz to 3 oz of pearl to 1/2 pint of binder, then reduced 100%.

I masked my flames off and after doing some test panels I went around the edges of the flames twice with my airbrush, then shot one coat over the entire flame with my big gun. Let it flash and coverd that with three coats of clear, then wetsanded and buffed. The effect came out nice.

Jive 65

Thanks LS, that's the confirmation I was looking for. Between yours and flamepain's comments I think I have this figured out. I'm getting close to a test panel, but you know how projects go! I'll post a pic when I've done the test panel. :bigokay:

Last edited: