Help with HOK paint!!!

M

Mitchb71

I love what HOK has to offer but they have sooo much different stuff it is hard to figure out. What is the best line to go with? Because you can mix and match the acrylic and urethane. So what do you guys recommend? Ive never used HOK. Just wanting some input.

T

TAZ

Mitch,
I like their candy urethanes. They have a great deal of depth. I try to stay away from the "bleed through" colors. Usually you can achieve the same color using another color by adjusting the base.

I have also used their basecoat candies. These work great for flames since they already have a pearl or fine metallic in them. No hardener is needed for these either. They are also great to use for flames because the thickness is not as great as the urethane candies.
I use alot of these also because I can get a quart of, let's say black or silver for about $42, versus paying $38 for a pint of PPG Global. Same with the bright colors. I like the Shimrin colors. I think they could use more pearl in them though. They spray like a regular solid color (non-metallic). I usually spray a couple coats of straight pearl (i.e. yellow pearl over tangelo) over the colors to really give them a nice look.
grin.gif

M

Mitchb71

which colors do you consider the bleed through colors??? So do you basically stay with the urethane line with HOK? For some reason i am drawing a blank on my paint knowledge. What type of paint is most used today. Is it urethane or acrylic?

ezrider

Mitch, urethane paints are most commonly used today they are very durable. Yellow is a perfect example of a bleed through color it never really seams to cover unless you spray a white base under it.

T

TAZ

Here is a list of the bleed through colors.
KBC05
KBC10
KBC13
kk05
kk10
kk13
uk10
uk13

If you do graphics over these colors, the actual candy color will bleed through (soaks into) , thus splotching your graphic work. I suggest using another color other than above. You can alter the base, and use another candy (non-bleed color) color and get the same effect.

HOK also makes a sealer to help prevent this if you have to use the above colors.

M

myfamiliacc

You should always clear after your candy, but if you are planning on laying out some patterns like flames or something. You should use HOK's midcoat clear. It works great! It goes on and drys just like a basecoat protecting your candy and giving you a perfect serface for patterns, It also helps to provent "bleed through" too. But it is not ment as a final clear so it to will need clearing.