Help picking gun & equipment for occasional DIY painting

Smee44

To start with I have the following compressor. At the current time I don’t want to replace it. I believe it to be on the lower end of CFM requirements, but I think I can make it work if I pick the correct equipment to mate with it.

Campbell Hausfeld Air Compressor Professional Series 25 gal, 4.5hp
8.2 cfm @ 40 psi,
6.5 cfm @ 90 psi
25ft of 3/8” Goodyear oil resistant hose

I will be painting a Jeep wrangler, but after that most of my painting will be sport bike motorcycle plastics, misc small metal projects, and individual body panels for repairs. I would guess I’ll paint 3-6 times per year.

Spray Gun:
What Gun and what size tips should I have/do I need? I have seen that some people recommend a “touch up” gun for spraying smaller parts like motorcycle plastics, is this a good idea with the small tip? A couple of the guns I have looked,
Harbor Freight #43430/66222 (I know some wouldn’t consider this but it has decent reports)
Astro Pneumatic EVO4014 (seems like a budget gun that gets recommend)

Hose setup:
My thought was to add a filter/separator (of your recommendation) at the end of my current 25’ hose and then add another 25’ of hose (of your recommendation) after the filter that I would only use for painting to keep it clean. Do I also need a filter right at the gun, if so what? Is this a good setup? Or recommend me a hose setup, no permanent tubing please only hose from the compressor.

Mask, what disposable cartridge mask should I get?

Any other equipment I am forgetting that I need?

I have never painted with a spray gun, my current total budget is around $200, but I want decent components that will last me for many years so this may change on your recommendations/suggestions. (Note, I am not trying to make a living with this set just get a good paint job when needed) If you know of a thread with the answers I am seeking, a link to it would be fine, I have been trying to do the research but for a newbie it is hard to decipher if someone else’s setup will work with my compressor.

Big thanks to all who help, and please correct me if i am wrong on anything.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

You could probably get away with just using a 3M disposable mask, not the best, but this may work for you.
You may also want to get a 'spray sock'

As far as a filter for your compressor. You definitely want a good one. You should have this coming off the compressor. Then you can run your 25' hose off of it. You should probably go ahead and replace the hose and fittings as well. The hose you have now, is already contaminated, since there is no filter at the compressor. All the above will run you about $150 or so. The water separator filter, runs about $120 just by itself.
If you don't do this, and you end up with fish eyes, moisture in the lines, and other things, this would probably be why. Then you'll have a ruined paint job, and have to by all new materials again, which could run anywhere from $200-$700 depending on the quality of materials you buy (and the color you go with).
It's always good to prevent a problem before it happens with painting!

Also, you want to keep the hose short as possible as the longer the hose is the more the pressure drops.
25' might do it. Don't have all those fittings either. Just one after the filter at the compressor and one at your gun. Buy a little 'ball filter' that goes on the end of your gun.
I think after Jan 10, 2011, we can no longer use these though due to the EPA crackdown. I think they are more after the shops rather than the someone working out of their garage or work unit though.
So you should be all right with this.
Not for sure if that compressor is going to be able to keep up with you. So you may want to keep your eye open for a nice 5HP 80 gal upright comp.

As far as your gun, those guns you had linked, might be all right to paint with.
Never used either. We only used SATA's, but we spray pretty much every day.
Don't expect those guns to last long as they aren't made with the highest of materials. Also, the spray pattern may not be sufficient to spray some colors.

We use IWATA W-100's, but these are also over your budget, PLUS we really only use these on VERY small jobs. I would recommend getting the larger gun.
You can also do small jobs with the larger guns as well. You'll just have to adjust the settings and 'work with it' to keep the areas smaller than normal.

You didn't mention what types of paints you were spraying, but assuming that you were just spraying a single stage enamel, you could get away with about a 1.5.

You may also want to check out the "Similar Threads" links at the bottom of your thread here. Also be sure and use the 'search' on this forum. It may come in handy.

Smee44

Taz, thanks for the help, i have read many of your other posts. As to the hose and filter setup what should i be looking for in a filter/separator, when i Google it I find products that are all over the place. I have seen those ball type disposable filters before. Also I plan to keep my painting setup separate just to keep it as clean as possible.

As to paint yes i am planning a single stage enamel. Any recommendation of where to buy it. I will be painting OEM colors mostly, if possible.

I looked at the similar threads below they weren't much help. I will continue to read and research, I am not planning on painting for a few months so I have plenty of time to work out the details. Continued help is appreciated.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Attached are the one's we use. The work quite well.
We also use those filter ball gizmos on the end of the gun

02.jpg01.jpg

As far as the paint, not for sure where you can get it.
You may want to try TCPGlobal....or ColorRite.

I take it you don't have any paint supply stores around you?