Help painting c5 vette with ghost flames

Spiritwolf

I am getting ready to paint my c5 vette candy brandywine with ghost flames.Would like the flames to come and go under different angles and light.Saw a trans am long time ago with that paint job.What would be the best way to do this.If you have any photos of anything like this like to see them.

T

TAZ

Whatever metallic you choose to go under the base candy, do the opposite on the flames.
i.e if you decide to go with BC-03, then go with silver for the flames. If you decide to go with silver for the metallic under the base, go with the charcoal or a black metallic for the flames. The closer you get the base metallic to the metallic you use for the flames, the more subtle the flames will be.
Be sure and do a test panel so you can adjust the colors to get the effect you want.
:luck:

hoss

what about a color changing pearl? maybe the one that changes from purple to gold? what would that do under a brandi kandi wine?

xTuTx

For my last project I used a black base under HOK brandywine/base Kandy. Its easier to spray, but it has a high pearl content. We wanted ghost stripes. So I applied 2 coats kandy, masked the stripes, and applied 3 more coats. I know it looks like the points are not even, however they are. I don't know what happend with the reflections or something
FirebirdHood2.jpg
FirebirdHood.jpg

Last edited:

tron2k

Hello guys

I am new to the site and the world of custom paint jobs as its not such a big thing here in the UK as it seems to be over in the states.
Anyway, I spotted the finish on the hood above and it is very similar to the finish I want for my motorcycle, what I'm looking for is like a
orange candy base with heavy almost black tint over the top so as from one direction it appears black and changes to orange as you move
so orange to black black to orange.
Im not even sure what this is called or if it can be done, like I said very new to this world.

Regards Dav

my68firebird

Where did you get the hood? What model is that? I have a 68 Firebird... Will that fit

For my last project I used a black base under HOK brandywine/base Kandy. Its easier to spray, but it has a high pearl content. We wanted ghost stripes. So I applied 2 coats kandy, masked the stripes, and applied 3 more coats. I know it looks like the points are not even, however they are. I don't know what happend with the reflections or something
FirebirdHood2.jpg
FirebirdHood.jpg

Where did you get the hood? What model is that? I have a 68 Firebird... Will that fit?

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
This is a 4 year old post, so not for sure if xtutx will see your post

mat231v6

ok i am new too so may be in the wrong section. ghost flames is just pearl mixed into intercoat clear right? i guess what i am asking is when you have the basecoat layed down and you tape out the flames. do you just spray intercoat clear and pearl then peel the tape off and clear the car?

Wydir

when you ghost a design into a paint job it can be done in many different ways not just with pearl but with maybe a shade lighter base or maybe a shade darker, maybe a candy coat ,pearls can be used . ghosting is just a general term for making the graphics subtle and not jump out at you.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Wydir is right. Really don't have to use just pearls. You can even use an over-reduced black if would like. Different mixes will give you different results.