Help! I think i Goofed

K

kickstand

I am at a loss heres where I am I got my tank and fenders prepped painted and clearcoated and I remember someone saying if you wet sand everycoat of clear it will look nicer.

well i was ready to lay out my flames so I wetsanded my tank and fenders and now they have a haze I can not get rid of?
I waited 36 hours to wetsand if that makes a difference?
also will I have to redo the whole job or will the haze disapear if I just reclear? By the way I used 2000 wet paper.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

flamethrower

The haze is actually 2000 grit scratches. That's called "tooth". It's so your next coat has something to hold/bite onto. Lay out your flames, paint 'em, then reclear. You won't see the haze anymore, as the clear will fill in and cover up the 2000 grit.

K

kickstand

Thanks flamethrower I guess my next question would be when I am done and do my final wetsand how will I get the haze to go away?

flamethrower

Take a razor blade and shave down any runs you get so it won't take so much wet sanding, then wet sand everything (go easy on the corners). Then get an electronic polisher like a Makita 9227C, that you can control the speed on, and polish the scratches away with some final glaze like 3M Perfect It III. There are several brands of polishers to choose from; Dewalt, Porter-Cable, Milwaukee, etc. Some guys even use air polishers, but I don't recommend them because it's difficult to control the speed and therefore, easy to burn through your paint job. If you can't borrow an electronic polisher from someone, you can buy one for around $180. I paid $168 for my Makita 9227C online. You will also find several brands of polishing glaze. I have used the Perfect It III, and Aurora 3000 before. They both have worked perfectly. The polisher speed is going to vary depending on who you talk to. I use mine at around 2000 RPM or slower. If you have a steady hand and a good solid piece to work on, you could go a bit higher, but you can't get any better shine by going faster. So remember, it's control, not speed that makes a good polish job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif