Help a Newbie out

E

Eaglesfan

Hey guys, how is it going? I just recently found this site and now I'm bugging to try and paint my motorcycle. I read the how to section and the tools needed but I was just curious about how much will all this stuff run me? Also, is some of this stuff rentable? What do I need and where do I find this at? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
frown.gif

T

TAZ

Well even though you are an "eagles fan", welcome to the "Flames Board" (Bucs fan myself).

Anyway, pretty tough question since we don't know exactly what you are doing, so I will just give you some basic costs on doing a job.

On a job doing a basecoat/clearcoat with three parts (2 fenders and a tank), you will probably be looking at about $200-$300 in materials to do a paint/flame job (this of course, only if you use quality materials. You should be able to rent a compressor, but it should definitely be filtered to make sure you don't get any moisture in the job.
You will also need a place to spray.
You will also need a spray gun (maybe 2 if you have to prime).

Lot's of variables, but hopefully this will help.
Pretty much worth it just to let someone else do it.

Most of my jobs run from about $850-$1550 if you need a quote, you can fill out the form here . Be sure and mention the "Flames Board"
grin.gif

J

Jitter2001

Hey Guys, I too am am newby and I am about to try to paint my motorcycle. But instead of ruining my VERY expensive motorcycle while I gain knowledge in the art of painting. Should I go to the JUNK YARD and buy an old auto fender to paint.. Or do you have any other suggestions? Plus, in the likely situation, I don't lilke my work at first (on the motorcycle), please tell me that its not that hard to sand down and do again...

By the way, I would also like to give you a HIGH FIVE on the web site.. I too just stumbled across it and am very impressed. I signed up three days ago and have been here every day since. Reading and learning new stuff... Thank you...
cool.gif

K

Kelly Ruble

Jitter as always practice makes perfect. I bought about 3 or 4 old tanks and still use these for practice. If I have an idea or need to test a system or technique I just sand them down and repaint. All I am out is the cost of paint and time.
Kelly Ruble
Fireone Custom Airbrush
yesnod.gif

T

TAZ

Jitter,
Welcome to the Flames Board!
You also might want to visit some local auto dealerships. Most of these will have some decent sheetmetal to "practice paint" on. Usually they have a pile of parts out back.

Hey...at least they're free and good enough to practice on.
grin.gif