Heavy metal flake finish

FredoTwoWheels

So I painted an old helmet and then taped off some flames and layed intercoat on it, then shook huge flakes onto it until it was covered. I put a tack coat on, then two coats of clear. I am planning to sand some of the flakes down once it cures, then recoat it with two more clears but I am curious if I should add more clear before attempting to sand down any flakes standing up. What grit should I use when I do it? I just want to make sure I can have a nice smooth finish but the effect I was after left clumps of flake, Should I just keep burying it?

2013-10-25 17.02.15.jpg

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Normally when I spray a flake job, I put about 5 coats of clear on it. Then I resand with 600 grit. Once you get the surface flat, then reclear, it will really sparkle.
Flake jobs take a lot of material and time to get right.

FredoTwoWheels

Cool man, it has sat overnight, wont be able to get to it until Monday, will I need to scuff at that point or just lay the clear? It looks like a little bit of dust got in it, I would like to try to sand some out before I put another 3 or 4 coats on, should I just hit it with a little 1000 grit and see if it helps? Do I just wipe it down and hit it with clear after sanding or is there something I need to do between? Thanks a ton for the help.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I know on the flake jobs I do, it's VERY hard to see any dust that gets in the clear. Because it's so rough from the flakes. So yours must not be that bad.
I would still do the same....600 grit DA, 1000 grit wet, then clearcoat again.
You will just need to blow it off, tack it down before clearcoating the second time.

FredoTwoWheels

Well, it is in the black you can see it, and in the sun it sparkles, so I think I just didnt clean my gun of the silver metalic I sprayed before hand well enough before laying the clear. So I am a total of 6 lyers of clear in on this, and it has gotten some drips and haze, but I figure its all good because I needed to sand down the standing flakes anyway. So should I still start with 600 wet or go more coarse and take it down further? Thanks for all the help man.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you have plenty of clear.
You will probably need to block out those runs first before sanding the rest of the paint.
Once the runs are out, then I would suggest using 600 DA (DA stands for dual action sander - The paper will be dry, not wet).
THEN you can use 1000 grit wet. That should get it flat before adding the second batch of clear.