Having trouble eliminating swirl marks

se120rg

I fell prey to the convenience and pricing of ordering some paint and clear from the online supplier TPC global. I bought some of their 2K speed urethane and sprayed 2 coats over a VIVID BLACK base per the tech sheet mixed 4:1 with the activator. I waited 24 hours and wet sanded with 2000. Product sanded very easy. Next I used 3m compound with a 3m white waffle pad, the sanding scratches came out easily leaving behind a hazy finish with massive swirl marks. I then attempted to remove the swirl marks with Meguires swirl mark remover and a black pad. The test piece is no longer hazy and has a good shine but is full of fine swirl marks. Looks like an old black car that has been washed and dried with an old beach towel. The clear seems to be real soft, it even shows fine scratches from the micro fiber towel I used to wipe off the dried polish. So here are my questions..
what am I doing wrong?
could it just be low quality product?
the clear has now been down for 4 full days and I can still leave a mark with my fingernail
I am confident that the product was mixed with the proper amount and type of activator. I also sprayed some over a chrome yellow base with the same results, just not as noticeable over yellow as it is on the black.
Thanks to anyone that can offer some help

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I see that you are up in Michigan. Most likely it was cold when you sprayed. So I would say that you really need to wait 48-72 hours before buffing.

I would say you would be allight to buff now. Go back over with the white pad. Be sure and buff until it's shiny (not just hazy).
THEN go over it with the black pad and glaze.
When you do the black pad and glaze, it should already look almost like it was just painted.

So I would say the problem has to do more with the dry time rather than the product itself.