h.o.k. candy paint job on my motorcycle

Engineer111

Hello All.
new to this forum, need a few questions answered about my attempt to paint gas tank, fenders on my 750 shadow, h.o.k. cobalt blue , black base.
Also new to painting, like to learn, need tricks and tips, if anyone can help all appreciated.
first question
1.can I wet sand my kandy coat, I have put 3 coats on it seems dust particles, maybe fish eyes(contamination) is in my kandy paint coats.
not sure how to proceed?
2. how long can i go without spraying final clear on my kandy. if too long what steps need to be taken to finish?

thanks all

chopolds

You should never sand a candy coat. The secret to a good candy job is even-ness of the finish. You could never sand it and get it even. You might get away with using a 'run file' on a nib of dust, as long as you don't touch the surrounding paint.
2. It depends on what type paint you use. HOK only makes urethane paints now, so you need to follow the instructions regarding time between coats, and time before putting clear over the candy. It usually is a longer time, so the clear doesn't reflow the candy too much, and sag it. It can even remelt the candy, and flow down the pigments, even if it doesn't really make a run. My advice, if you run out of time, is to put at least one, 2 is better, coat of clear over the candy to seal it. Then you are sanding the clear, not the candy when you go past the recoat time, and have to scuff it before continuing.

Engineer111

thanks for advise Chopolds

I ended up resanding the gas tank back to its primer, sprayed a new coat of primer, and the tank is ready for base coat, but I have done nothing with the fenders,
the fenders have dust nibs on the candy, that is my concern now, debating if I should do the same with the fenders, since i am way past recoat time.
question: can i some how save the candy and get nibs out, and be able to prep it for clear coat, or should i start all over?
thanks again

chopolds

Personally, I'd start over. You might be able to save it, but there's just as much chance it will come out looking like a mess. And you won't know it until it's clearcoated, and just about finished. If you want to take that chance: Knock off the nibs with a nib file, or a brand new razor blade held at 90* to the surface. Be sure not to touch the surrounding area. Now, to prep the Candy without removing much material, I'd use a white scuff pad. These are super fine and don't take much off, if anything. If you can't find that, use an ultra fine grey pad, VERY lightly, just enough to slightly dull the surface. As a precaution I would put a light coat of adhesion promoter before continuing, just because I have it. You could get away with it without using it, but then again, this whole scenario is keeping fingers crossed while you do everything!
Good luck!