Gun Cleaning Made Easy

Stretch

I purchased a parts washer from the local Auto Parts store. It'll hold about 3 gallons of whatever you want to put in it and has a pump that moves it though a sort of faucet when turned on. I haven't had it long enough to know whether the pump will stand up to laquer thinner, but for the last few weeks it's worked great. I can clean the gun and move on to the next color in no time. Makes cleanup a breeze.

-Stretch

rex

Definately let us know how the pump and lines hold up,I've wondered about this myself.Here's a trick to go along with it.Since the thinner will get dirty from being recycled,get a squirt bottle for clean thinner.Once you get it flushed out with the 'dirty' thinner,squirt in some of the clean for a final flush and let it run in the tank with the rest.

Stretch

Hey Rex-

I'll definitely give an update in a few weeks or months if anything changes. The guy at the parts store didn't figure it'd be a problem. He said the stuff they recommend is a solvent for metal parts so he figured laquer thinner would be fine.

What sort of spray bottles do you use for laquer thinner? I've tried a few and they all seem to have very short lives.

Thanks-Stretch

Stretch

Short lived....

It seemed to good to be true. The parts washer gave up the ghost today. I turned it on this evening and it started right up, then sputtered and that was all she wrote. It's too bad because it worked so well for a while. I'll see about taking it back, sadly. If anyone else runs across a similar devise that stands the test of time, please let us know. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up.

-Stretch

A

alienboy

Tell them it was defective and get another one.....Test it untill it goes out and give us an average. hehehe

Stretch

I think I'll return it and try to find a pump that's made to hold up to some laquer thinner. Any suggestions?

The washer made cleanup/changes MUCH faster and easier.

-Stretch

rex

Man,that sucks the pump went.I don't know the cost but you could try contacting one of the gun cleaner companies and see what a pump would cost-Hercules and Safety Clean (the guys that usually supply mechanics and bodyshops with cleaning tanks) are 2 that come to mind.The spray bottles don't work good as you found out,I meant the squirt bottles like the old diners had on the tables for ketsup(sp) and mustard.Detailers use them alot for wax and such.

Stretch

Well I took it back. The parts store told me the only thing that should be used in that parts cleaner is soap and water or Carb Cleaner. The parts washer sure made cleaning things much easier. Anyone see any problems with using Carb Cleaner instead of Laquer Thinner? I know next to nothing about chemicals so any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks-Stretch

V

voodoosurfer

I would think that carb cleaner would leave to much of a oily residue on things and potentially get in your paint. just my 2 cents.

T

tcmustang

I have used my parts washer for over a year , with the regular solvent made for parts washers, to clean my paint guns, It does a good job, but after cleaning, I blow air on all the parts to dry, then run 2-3 ounces of laquor thinner through the gun. I have not had any problems,

Stretch

On another forum a guy suggested a 'Sure Shot' compressed air sprayer. I found some online for about $35. You partially fill it with laquer thinner (or whatever liquid you want to spray) and then use a compressor to pressurize it. Then it acts like an aerosol can but with an adjustable spray. I may have to grab a parts washer and a Sure Shot. Seems like it'd save me on waste.

-Stretch