Good primer gun?

LudicrousSpeed

I bought a devilbiss Plus gun last year for my bases and clears, but I would like to get a gooddedicated primer gun.

Eastwood has two devilbiss hvlp gravity feed guns with some misc stuff (one reg one touchup gun) for $99. I know Eastwood is usually sky high on stuff, but that does not sound too bad.

T

TAZ

Couldn't help you out here, but if it's Devilbiss, can't be that bad, especially just to use for a primer gun.

If you get one, let me know how it works out.

flamethrower

I got a sharpe cobalt with a 1.8 tip for primer. I can shoot thick primers as well as thin without problem. I can't remember how much I spent on it back then, but you can get one now on spraygundepot for $149.

Stretch

I just ordered a Nesco LVLP 1.8 tip primer gun for less than $90. I'd looked around quite a bit and almost bought a 3 gun set from the local jobber but heard mixed reviews. I should get the Nesco tomorrow and throw some paint with it this week. I can report back. I agree that a DeVilbiss can't be that bad. Any idea on the model?

-Stretch

J

JAMMINJ

I've got a Devilbiss PRi primer gun (HVLP gravity feed). I like it because all of my fluid tips from my Devilbiss GTi are interchangeable (as well as many other parts). When I bought My GTi it came with three different tips, so I didn't have to buy a bunch of different sized tips for the primer gun. I can spray anything from adhesion promoters to high solids primers with a simple fluid tip swap. I have 4 Devilbiss guns and I love every one of them. A cool feature that Devilbiss has is the EZ-Liner, which is basically a zip-lock baggy inside the cup that you put your paint in. When you are done spraying all you do is throw the baggy away and the cup is still spotless. Another bonus of the baggy is that it allows you to spray up-side-down, which is usually impossible with anything other than a pressure pot. I have heard good things about the Finishline series and they also have the EZ-Liner system. One thing I will tell you is that you should definately find a gun that can be rebuilt. Primer guns are usually the most neglected guns in any shop, so parts often have to be replaced. I have thrown away enough cheapy $50.00 primer guns to buy a couple good guns. Check Everhartsales.com, they usualy have some good deals. Good Luck!

T

tcmustang

I just bought a DeVilbis Plus gun, I love this thing, I have painted cars for 20 years + and have used HVLP for the last 8 yrs, but this thing is wonderful, My supplier also sold me a Sharpe gun JUST for primer, cost was $85.00 Perfect for the job.

L

lobo

Just bought a Devilbiss Finishline HVLP myself from TCP. They are offering a special deal. I got the gun with 4 tips 1.3, 1.5, 1.8, and a 2.2 1 litre cup inline regulator and a case for 299.00 with the tips I can spray everything from bases all the way to latex. This will be my first experience with a HVLP but I have heard nothing but good things so I decided to take the plunge. I'll let you know how it goes as I am looking to shoot my father inlaws Goldwing parts and my sons V45 Sabre parts as well.

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
Try Innate Technologies.He's got the Titan on special.
Two guns for 99.95.one is a dedicated primer gun.

LudicrousSpeed

Guys, I bought this set up I was talking about. I have only used the big gun to shoot Dupont Uro Prime, so it is hard to tell about how it lays actual paint, but it shoots primer excellent!

The thing that amazed me was that I usually prime (or paint) a 1/4 panel and look around. The overspray is usually pretty thick. This time I primed both rea 1/4's and the rear of the car, the air was CLEAR!!! I don't know if the is because of the HVLP, but I like it.

If you are looking for some cheap guns that work well, check these out from Eastwood!