Good all around gun for colors and clears?

LudicrousSpeed

I have always used a Sharpe gun (model 775, has a pressure gauge in the handle)in the past for everything from primer to color to clears, with no problems. I am not even sure what the tip size is on it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/foreheadslap.gif

I would like to get a gun, probably siphon fed, since that is what I am familiar with, (I have never shot an HVLP or gravity fed) that is suitable to shoot both colors and clears through. I really don't have the cash to buy a gun for both, as this is just a hobby for me...

Any recommendations appreciated, even outside of what I speced out......

rex

I think a DeVilbiss GFG with a 1.4 tip is great for about everything and can be had for a little over $300 if you shop around.It is a gravity feed so it will feel strange at first but trust me,once you use one and get used to it after the first few uses you'll never want a siphon feed again.I kept stalling and stalling but finally broke down and got one,never looked back.I'm doing that now with HVLP and aren't sure if I will get one unless the laws force me to.The DeVilbiss GFG PLUS is beautiful with a 1.3 tip (1.4 is cool too) but will set you back close to $400.If you really want a siphon gun the JGA is a pretty nice gun but I haven't used one in probably 8 years.Still have my old one somewhere but she needs a major rebuild and can't justify the $.Got some nice jobs out of my MBC's with the last generation of medium solids clears but I wouldn't recommend it if you can even find one,it took too much work to make it work.Yeah,I'm a DeVilbiss freak,always have been.

Bornhard

over a year ago I decided to get a good quality spray gun and got a Sata Jet 90 (I believe is the model #) and I enjoy it, but really only wanted it for clear applications. I kept using a cheap HVLP spray gun for primer and base coat & was usually annoyed with it's performance when I could get it to stop leaking and spray correctly. I finally this past summer went out and bought a Devilbiss PLUS for primer and base coat work and have completely enjoyed it's performance! Another thing with Devilbiss is even though it's somewhat pricey, everthing for it is cheaper than Sata parts. I like how Devilbiss throws extras in the box along with the spray gun.

LudicrousSpeed

Is the GFG 670 one of the guns you mentioned? Tool Paradise has one for $269.

They also have a GTI620G for $289

What is the big difference?

rex

Let me check the order # on the GFG I have Monday when I get to work.For some reason the model# on the gun and the stock# are nowhere even close to each other.I'm thinking that first one is probably it but not sure.The GTI (the second one) is an HVLP.Not a bad gun for base but it's not as versatile.Good price them though.Let you know monday what I find out.

M

myfamiliacc

A friend of mine picked up a Campbell Hausfeld HVLP gravity fed gun at Wal-Mart, for some quick hobby jobs. When I found out that he picked up a gun at "walyworld" I had to laugh, but when I checked it out, I must say I was impressed with its quality, and it only set him back like $65. For a hobbyist short on cash, I highly recommend this gun. I know what some of you other guys might be thinking but trust me, if you try one you won't be disappointed, especially at that price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/agree.gif

rex

GFG 644 is the # of mine,it's a GFG516 gun and cup with 1.4 tip and it comes with the cup liners.Not sure what the 670 setup would be,maybe a larger tip.For a cheap gun Nesco is making a copy of the Iwata LPH400 for about $100 and the bodymen really like it but they came with a huge tip for priming.If you can find one with a 1.3 or 1.4 tip they should work great for a while.The 1.2 in a real Iwata won't work for clear so the 1.4 would probably be the best all around.