Glow in the dark flames

W

willyg

I am painting my bike and considering using House of Kolor Cosmic Glow over my flames has anyone ever used this product if so what do you know? Any info would be appreciated!!

TY

Willy G

F

Fineliner

I used it several years ago. Its pretty killer BUT it only has a life expenticy of approximatley 2 to three years MAX. and thats if you park the bike in shelter from light. But its like pearl, as far as how you apply it and mix it. The other draw back is you have to spray it over a pastell color. Good luck. P.S It is SWEET @ night.
grin.gif

L

Lawrence

I was thinking about trying this out myself. I was going to use one of the prismatic colors (Mystique, Harlequin, EXtreme, Multitones, etc.) and decided against it. If I'm going to pay $300 for a pint of paint, I don't want to take the chance of it diminishing the effect of the basecoat. There wasn't much information available at House of Kolor, and it sounds like it wouldn't work for me anyways. (Maybe as a corona around the flames... That's an idea).

K

KCLu

Its my understanding that Harlequin is about $34 an ounce, but that you use it to color the DBC clear ... reliable sources tell me that an ounce will color about 100 oz. of clear, so its not a bad price all in all. You're just looking at a 3 step process, but for the look, I think its worth it. Just my .02
wink.gif

L

Lawrence

I'm realy interested in the ChromaFlair pigments, but havn't seen much information on any of the brands save for Sherwin Williams. Of course I'm browsing the net, and not actualy going into stores, but you would think I could find something. I know about the different brands, but none realy go into depth of what products they cary. I know Sherwin Williams carries the Multitones and is a 1:1 with Base stabilizer. (I'm not too familiar with the three stage process). I've also heard somewere on this forum that someone suggested to stay away from from them and Dupont. Unfortunatly, I have links to someone who can get me Sherwin Williams at wholesale so it's a hard one to pass up. Anyone know were I can find out about the other brands. Be nice to see some examples, and hear some stories.

I know this realy is the wrong forum to be posting this in. (This thread should be moved to the general or flame related forums but while it's here I'll chime in).

G

guest01

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lawrence:
I'm realy interested in the ChromaFlair pigments, but havn't seen much information on any of the brands save for Sherwin Williams....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ChromaFlair Pigments

U.S.A. Manufacturers Commercial Paint Brands
Akzo Nobel Sikkens AutobaseTM
BASF Extreme ColorsTM
DuPont ChromaLusionTM
DuPont (Standox) Exclusive LineTM
Martin Senour MultiTonesTM
PPG Harlequin Color CollectionTM
Sherwin-Williams MultiTonesTM
U.S. Paint Corp. AwllureTM Color
Valspar/House of Kolor KameleonTM Kolors

European Manufacturers Commercial Paint Brands
Akzo Nobe Sikkens AutobaseTM
Glasurit Fantasy ColorsTM
DuPont ChromaLusionTM
DuPont (Standox) Exclusive Line
PPG Industries HarlequinTM Colors

Asia/Pacific Manufacturers Commercial Paint Brands
Dupont ChromaLusionTM
DuPont (Standox) Exclusive LineTM
Glasurit Fantasy ColorsTM
Kansai Paint SpectroshineTM
Nippon Paint MazioraTM
NOF Corporation Illusions ColorsTM
PPG Industries Harlequin ColorsTM
Resene Santano Ltd. Kaleidoscope SystemsTM
Rock Paint Rock PaintTM
Spray Chief Paints Spray ChiefTM

rex

Willy
If you use the 'neon' stuff keep it out of the sun.The red will turn pink,measured in hours,not months or years.Some other colors might last longer,but it's their nature to fade out fast and there's no changing it.Also reds in general get bleached out by the sun.Up north isn't too bad but down south it can tear them up.My bike is still a pretty nice red pearl,but next to new you can tell it's bleaching out.The burgandy is in much better shape colorwise,but the pearl is a bit dead.Sounds backwards to me,but.

KCLu
The price sounds about right,a qt. is $1100-1200.I'd double check the sources.It comes ready to reduce 100%-one oz gets you 2,4oz gets you 8,etc.I can see clearing it down some for grafics and shading,but not to spray a large area.If you spray over a contrasting color,2 coats are usually transparent.The few people I know that use it put down a base color real close to the dominant color,and still use 3 coats.2 coats looks great in the booth,but when it gets in the sun you can see thru to the base.Some aren't really bad,but some look awful and you have to redo it.I just thought,maybe these guys have the concentrate and mix it,but I'd say 100cc's instead of ounces.I don't think any paint stores here carry it and order it as needed.I'll do a little digging,you got me curious now.

[ 03-27-2002: Message edited by: rex ]