ghost flames

pro street

i have recently gotten back into painting after being out of it for nearly 20 yrs. ALOT has changed.I am currently restoring a 67 mustang for my wife that was given to her by her dad before he passed away. I am painting the car bc/cc merlot red. I have always wanted to do ghost flames and figured this is the perfect opportunity. Problem is, i have no Idea what colors or type of paint to use. Can anybody help me out. Also, can someone recomend a good source for litature on pearls, candies and etc? thanks.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Is this the Harley Davidson Merlot red in which you spray a black base, then spray crystals over it? Or is this another Merlot Red?

fontgeek

If you are going to use the existing paint job, then I'd look at the sites for PPG, HOK, DuPont, Alsa, etc. Just pay attention to the kind of paint and understand the safety and prep requirements for the kind of paint you choose.
As to the color, I think I would probably look at the interior colors, and maybe choose the flame color from there, but the choice is all yours, a lot depends upon what you and your wife like or don't like, and how subtle you want the flames to be. You might look at doing a pearl that matches the original/base color so that the flames only show up at a certain angle. Maybe an interference color so that the flames change colors as you pass by them.

pro street

she is looking for the subtle ghost affect so if i use a pearl similar in color to the base what would you suggest for a interference color. The interior is all original, black. The hood and side scoops are going to be painted black also.

fontgeek

I'd look at the various manufacturer's interference/chameleon colors and maybe find a red-violet, or red-?, so that the flames appear or disappear depending upon your viewing angle.
Maybe something like Alsa's Mirra Chrome or Ghost Chrome would be cool, much depends upon what you and your spouse like.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Probably just using a over-reduced silver metallic would look good over that red or a over-reduced black.
It's all personal preference.

Be sure and do a test panel first.

As far as literature, I think online is your best information.
You probably could also just find some auto painting books at your local library or book store.
Magazine subscriptions may help to. Like Auto Body News, or Airbrushing

Shanesflames

The esenice of z Pearl

Red pearl is going to be your best bet. Maby hit the tips wit a little white from an air brush.
Kool kar good luck.

pro street

ghost falmes

I recently seen some flames that were edged in a color slightly lighter than the base and then pearl was applied. Your experience, would you think that going just a little lighter and then using a violet pearl would give the effect i'm looking for on a darker color like the merlot red?Subtle. Thanks for the feedback.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I think if you took the Merlot color, then lightened it, then airbrushed the flames, this will give you a subtle look.
BUT, I think if you used somesort of pearl toner, or color, this will look the best.
i.e using a white, red, or violet pearl.

pro street

time to do it

thanks for the input. I'm gonna go with the a violet pearl. Should be spraying next week. Thanks to all for your input. Great sight. Next time you here from me, hopefully i'll be posting a successful pic-.:goodbye: