Ghost Flame Painting?

bluvet79

I am getting ready to repaint my tins and I want to paint Ghost Flames. I have never done Ghost Flames before but for some reason I have this theory stuck in my head, don't know I got it but here it is.
I am going to lay down a black base coat then two or three color coats of Red/Blue Mystic. Tape off and lay down the flames in two light coats of Metalic Green. Un-tape then lay down one very light coat of Mystic over the whole thing, then clear coat.
Do you guys think this will give me a nice effect or am I just thinking all wrong....?

hoss

i'm unfamiliar w/ mystic. is it a pearl? if so, you'll be taking away a lot of depth if you pearl over the ghost flames. (just my oppinion)

lay down the black, shoot the mystic
clearcoat it. wait a day or so
scuff the clear w/ 800 grit
do your ghost flames
clear it again
sand and buff and b done

why clear the base color? cause it's a protective layer for mess ups. you'll pretty much always have a spot that you didn't see. this way you can sand it right off and go about the rest of the work.

good luck

bluvet79

Mystic is the paint that shifts colors ie. red/blue will shift from red to blue and all colors in between depending on the light. Kinda like pearls but a much more dramatic effect.
I am not going to clear over the base coat. The clear is the final paint to hit the tins.
I think I will shoot a piece of panel and see what I get then post a pic.

BIGSLICK

Ghost flames

Most ghost flames are traditionally done 1st lay your base coat 2nd tape off your flames 3rd dust the outline of flames with silver or gold or whatever depending on your flame color will be . then lay down your candy . then finally clear ...

T

TAZ

bluvet79

You may want to start your own thread. The one you replied to was pretty old....wow...even has 'Dirk' on there (guess he's a swayback from wayback!)

:haha:

Basically just go to where all the threads are in the 'Flame Painting' section and 'Post New Thread'

:bigokay:

EmpireDrums

kameleon...

if the mystic is like dupli-colors mirage color shifting paint (kameleon) then what you said originally should work. i did dark grey stars over black then shot that stuff over it all and it looked awesome!!! try it on a test panel first though!!! good luck and let us see your progress!!!

~Jason
(516)