General painting questions from a newbie!

J

Jinkeez

Hi all,

Wow, this is a great site--I can't wait to try out some of the flame painting techniques, but first, I guess I need to start with the basics.

I've started an ambitious project to customize my computer case, and I know that I can apply some of the techniques discussed here (my goal is to get a really nice looking flame design painted onto it) to make it look really good. That flame painting tutorial will be a huge help! However, I'd like to know if any of y'all have opinions on a few things before I really get started.

I hope this doesn't sound too sacreligious to a group of pros that are used to working with the best types of paint and equipment, but if you were forced at gunpoint to use plain old automotive spraypaint, right from a spray can, what brand would you use..?

Is there any way that I can simulate some of the advanced techniques, like blending or fading, with plain old automotive spraypaint?

Is there such thing as a pearl coat available in plain old spraypaint?

The items I'll be painting will basically be flat panels, do I want to lay them flat on the ground, or see if there's some way I can hang them from something?

Is anyone here in the Dallas area? Do you have any suggestions on the best places to buy the 3M products I'll need to prep everything?
grin.gif

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

-Mike