G'day from new guy

C

crackers05

G\'day from new guy

G'day all, i'm from Tasmania in Australia, and after a bit of advice.
Brought myself a Paasche VL airbrush and a compressor to muck around with.
Started prep'ing my beer fridge doors last weekend. plan on flat black with 50-60's style of flames.
i had planned on (and did) prime and base coat the doors with rattlecans and do the flames with the airbrush.
i now found that i really need a spray gun (rattlecans are way overpriced)
the only thing is the compressor i have is a 2.5hp with a 40L tank & has a pump displacement of 233l per minute(8.2cfm).
I know this does limit on the kind of spray gun i can use, but can i get away with using a spray gun that require a 6-10cfm compressor, or should i purchace a touch-up spray gun and make more passes.
Great site you all have here, my head is overloaded already.

Cheers
Crackers

Jim

Re: G\'day from new guy

Welcome to the board Crackers!Your compressor is much to small to do anything large.The problem is keeping the proper amount of pressure while spraying.Even with a small gun,you'll have to wait for the pressure to build.if you put a regulator at the gun,you can watch to see if your pressure is up to par.

C

crackers05

thanks jim,
i dont plan on doing anything large.
the fridge being the largest, and only doing the doors at the moment.
i dont mind spraying small portions at a time, but would a gun i mentioned above, with my compressor, be capable of spraying up to 15-20square feet at a time.

p.s. if it helps my compressor charges up to 115psi and starts again once the pressure drops to 85psi, and does have a regulator on the outlet of the tank.

cheers
crackers

flamethrower

Welcome! I've been to Tasmania. What a cool place to live. I was in Hobart in 1985. USS Texas. I had a great time.

Enjoy this board. The people who are a part of it provide valuable tips and advice.

Flame On!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fire.gif

C

crackers05

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome! I've been to Tasmania. What a cool place to live. I was in Hobart in 1985. USS Texas. I had a great time.

Enjoy this board. The people who are a part of it provide valuable tips and advice.

Flame On!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah is a good place to be, albiet a bit cold at the moment.

since i have had no definative responses, i might rephrase my question:

whats the best spray gun for a 8.2cfm max compressor?

cheers
crackers

flamethrower

The only gun I know of that uses significantly less air is the Iwata LPH-400; but I'm not sure if 8.2 is even enough for it. I used to use a 9CFM compressor, but I never shot cars, so it was ok for me to wait a bit while the compressor caught up. It would be better if you could scrounge up a larger compressor. Of course you already knew that... Try the LPH-400, it uses about half the air pressure at the tip than any other gun I know of. You can get one pretty cheap from Stevensons1 on ebay here -->

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND-NEW...564657397QQrdZ1

I've bought stuff from them before, they are reputable.

Take care,

Mowe

G'Day Cracker05
I just bought a LPH 100 thats is a little smaller than the LPH 400 but only requires 7 & change for CFMs. I haven't had a chance to try it yet as we're still setting up a small spray booth in our garage but I hear it's a very nice gun. You may want to check it out. I paid around $260.00 for it.......Good Luck & Welcome to the board
Mowe

C

crackers05

thanks for the info guys.
i had a bit of a brainwave at the weekend.
i went to the shop that i brought the compressor from.
guess what, several different spary guns that suit my compressor.
they was a very nice gravity fed gun for $100
not sure if it was hvlp (only had a quick look)
think i may grab this as a starter.
if i enjoy this i may need to upgrade my compressor and then i can buy a top quality gun

cheers
crackers