gasoline eats paint

U

ulster1

I just painted my new tank and done a good job on both the paint and the flames and coated it with several clear coats. The last time I painted it was last year and i had a problem with the gas eating around the gas cap , so I sanded that part and coated it with fiber glass resin and it seemed to to the trick. But this time it didn't work it has reacted and sort of mess it up on me, does anyone know if there is a better paint that doesn't react, I used candy apple blue made by the metal flake company. Is there something i should still know. Thanks

T

TAZ

You probably used a lacquer based paint. You should stay away from lacquers (if this is what you used) for motorcycle parts. You should use a good quality urethane bc/cc paint.
Even with using good quality paint, you should stay about an 1/8" away from the very edge on the filler top. You should also use either clear fingernail polish or brush a coat of catalyzed clear (same clear you used above) around the very edge of the paint. This will help keep the vapors from getting under the paint.
The above is a good tip to remember. You will find this under the "Tips" section in the "Flames Board"