Gas Filler Neck

T

TAZ

To help prevent your paint from peeling up on a gas filler neck, be sure and tape it a minimum of 1/8" from the edge where the cap actually sits. This will help prevent any gas or vapors from going under and lifting the paint.

M

motorhead100

To add to this, I usually edge seal the edge of the paint. Especially on motorcycle tanks.

N

Nate Hansen

I've heard that clear fingernail polish is a good edge sealer.

M

motorhead100

I use aircraft fueltank sealant. I guess any fuel resistant sealer will work. The stuff isn't real pretty though, so make sure it doesn't show when the cap is on.

P

PeteRambo

How would you recommend I do that with a flush mount a/c cap? I'm taped to the top of the lip around the cap. Would I remove the tape before the cc so it goes over the edge?

Pete

ezrider

all gas tanks have a filler bung regaurdless of type , year , or manufacturer. i usally tape on the bung right where it meats the actual tank, just barely getting paint on the bung. this works for me and i can't put a number on how many tanks i have painted. if you paint too far on to the bung gas vapors will get under the finish and cause problems.

G

guest01

I've been painting bikes for years. The most profecient way to eliminate any problems on this is to use paint savers. If you have a flush mount tank. Then there is a piece of metal that goes into the tank, and the gas cap goes into the metal piece. even if you clear further down then the edge. Gas will find its way there and will start to lift or bubble your clear. Paint savers will run you around 90 dollars. Better to pay this then paint your bike again.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

ezrider

Paint savers do not protect paint from vapors, they protect against scratches from the gas pump filler if any thing they do more harm than good by trapping vapors.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

T

txturbo

I always use POR-15 for that. I paint halfway up the neck.Then a few days later come back and paint the whole neck with either silver or glossy black POR-15.Just be sure you don't close the tank cap until the POR-15 is fully cured or you won't get it back open.

B

Big Chicken

Cap the filler hole with a bathtub plug befor painting. Carefully remove plug after paint is dry, carefull of bridgeing. Clean the area where the paint meets metal with wax and grease remover then use a paintbrush and apply an epoxy primer over the edge. Of course make sure it is invisible when the cap is in place.

O

orange peel

JB weld on the edge of the filler, tuff as nails! <font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">work smarter not harder

jimthefred

I tape the bung off 1/8 below the edge when I paint and use clear model airplane dope to paint the filler neck. Its clear,fuel resistant, cheap,easy and works!!! Any hobbie shop that carries model airplanes (the gas powered r/c ones)will have it.

regalpaints

How would you suggest I do that with a cleanse install a/c cap? I'm recorded to the top of the lip around the cap. Would I eliminate the record before the cc so it goes over the edge?

Charlott

all gas tanks have a filler bung regaurdless of type , year , or manufacturer. i usally tape on the bung right where it meats the actual tank, just barely getting paint on the bung sizzlinghotdeluxe. this works for me and i can't put a number on how many tanks i have painted. if you paint too far on to the bung gas vapors will get under the finish and cause problems.​

<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 8.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px 'Trebuchet MS'; color: #000000; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000}span.s1 {font-kerning: none}</style>