flat is good?

hoss

i've got a lot more stripin to do, but i can ride it for now and stripe it later. i got the tank done and most of the bags done. got to stripe the fenders and top of the bags and i'll be done i think? :lol:

what do you think :?:

2983P5160004.JPG

2983P5160006.JPG

2983P5160008.JPG

2983P5160012.JPG

flamepain

cant decide.for two years now i"ve been thinking about painting my nova flat black with a gloss black flame job.trouble is i cant figure out how to have no edge to the flame(totaly smoothe).love that effect though.cudos.cyas

hoss

i don't bet there's a way.

the thing i'd do is paint the flat black then tape out the flames and use a touch up gun (small amount of paint) w/ clear in it to shoot the flames and then pinstripe the edge.

that's kinda what i did w/ the red and white areas

Ultra Al

I like it! The caddy tail lights really set it off. Now, some ol' skool stripes in red on the fender tops and saddle bag tops would be where I's go next using the same bright red and white colors. AL

hoss

I like it! The caddy tail lights really set it off. Now, some ol' skool stripes in red on the fender tops and saddle bag tops would be where I's go next using the same bright red and white colors. AL

kinda like this?

2983P5180002.jpg

2983P5180004.jpg

T

TAZ

Great job!!!:bigokay:
Alot of striping. Got more patience than I have.
:drunk:

hoss

i get in the zone, and have to stop when the patience ends. that's about after 5 hrs. :)

DocKennedy

great work on the X!!

I've been kicking this around (flat paint) for some time and think you've pushed me over the edge.

Gotta ask about the pipes though - did you build or?

Again - great paint and graphics.

thanks

hoss

great work on the X!!

I've been kicking this around (flat paint) for some time and think you've pushed me over the edge.

Gotta ask about the pipes though - did you build or?

Again - great paint and graphics.

thanks

the bike gets a lot of looks w/ that flat paint and definitly the caddy lights and pipe. and i (w/ the local exhaust guy) fabed it up and i finished it off w/ the ceramic coat and header wrap. i love the sound!!

griffin

cant decide.for two years now i"ve been thinking about painting my nova flat black with a gloss black flame job.trouble is i cant figure out how to have no edge to the flame(totaly smoothe).love that effect though.cudos.cyas

the best way to do this would be flat black it, then do your gloss flames. then use a flat or matte clear coat. this way your paint will be sealed and protected from the elements.

tman

I have painted for many years, but never striped. Doy you paint those flames with a pinstripe brush freehanded? How do you make those tight curves at the top of the flames...great job by the way.

hoss

yep, all freehand. practice practice practice. you've got to get the brush up on the tip and roll it around. i also trim my brush different. do a search for trim the brush or something. it's posted on here. by no means are these stripes extreme in quality, but for my level of striping i think they're good.

striping is **** hard!!! i'm suprized i didn't give it up when i started, but just keep with it and learn to trim your brush the way you like it. also try different brushes till you find the one that works for you. doesn't really matter what brush you use, just matters what the stripe looks like. good luck

Last edited: