Flames on Kubota tractor

c.schulz

Hey Guys, I have a molded in color(orange) tractor hood
that I am having troubles getting paint to not lift. Lays down well on the
painted steel part of the hood. Using HOK base coat urethane with a medium
reducer. Sanded with 800 and good cleaning with wax and grease remover.I can
only spray a dusting at a time. Even slightly over a mist and it lifts. Im
thinking it is the molding release agent from when being maufactured. What can I
use to seal this? Waterborn primer or???????

Attachments

• P1010019.jpg
    P1010019.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 16
  • P1010018.jpg
    P1010018.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

c.schulz

Thanks for the reply. Someone I work with recommended Bulldog, have you ever tryed Sealer/adhesion promoter? Sounds like good products.

Chris

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I've used Bulldog, but this is really to be painted over raw plastic, but if it was molded raw plastic this color like you mentioned, yes, Bull Dog it, but molded plastic would not wrinkle. So my guess it it is painted.
I would suggest using a fast reducer. A fast reducer will have less 'bite'. Of course I would still recommend going with light coats even with the fast.
Or, even try a less aggressive reducer like Omni.

c.schulz

Thanks Taz, well I took a look at the panel and its made of ABS. So I ordered up some SEM scuff and clean along with the Bulldog sealer/adhesion promoter, Ill be striping the panel down and stating with a good cleaning and dose of Bulldog.
The paint that I have is HOK with a medium fast reducer. Ill have to take my time spraying the paint. Wish me luck

Chris

Wydir

When I did my mower I used PPG products I sanded and cleaned as normal and used my normal primer DPS3055 paint is PPG DBC Vibrance

Lawnmower3.jpg

Lawnmower2.jpg

Lawnmower1.jpg

Last edited:

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Sharp lawn mower you have there Wydir. I'm jealous lol!!!!

Chris,

You might want to strip it, clean it, red scotch bright it, wipe it down real good. Spray the Bull Dog, but go easy on this stuff. You only want a medium wetcoat. Then seal it. THEN go ahead and spray your base.
Hope it works out for you!

c.schulz

Those are some popin colors Wydir. Looks good!!! What do you guys recommend for sealer? I purchased the Bulldog product Sealer/Adhesion promoter in one. Will this work or should I go a primer sealer?

Thanks Chris

c.schulz

Well I thought I would post the finished product. Took me quite a while but life gets in the way. Tell me what you all think?

Chris

minibota002Medium.jpg

minibota007Medium.jpg

minibota018Medium.jpg

minibota020Medium.jpg

minibota019Medium.jpg

minibota027Medium.jpg

minibota028Medium.jpg

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Very sharp! Nice blend of orange colors and shading. Looks like you did some nice outlines on the flames.

:bigokay:

c.schulz

Very sharp! Nice blend of orange colors and shading. Looks like you did some nice outlines on the flames.

:bigokay:

Thanks for the good words. Bulldog was the ticket!! I was scared at first to spray over it but turned out well.

Chris

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
heres a little hint when painting over plastics. As Taz stated, Bulldog works well. But you can take a propane torch and very gently waft it over the surface of the plastic. It does not take very much heat. This will change the molecular structure of the plastic very slightly and will allow the paint to adhere, plus the use of bulldog that paint will never lift. Hope this helps for the next time. Awesome work,
Brian.

Last edited: