Flame color

Chevman

Hey guys new to the forum and new to trying to paint flames. I want to paint gold flames on my motorcycle tank. I am using a black base then I'll tape my flames 1 hr after I'm done the black base. My question is what color gold should i outline my flames in? Gold pearl ,gold metallic,candy gold,ect. After flames are done ill clear within an hr. But im afraid the gold base over the black base wont turn out well or show well. Anyone done gold flames on black that can help me please. Ive painted for years but never tried flames or color over color like this.lol

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
My question is what color gold should i outline my flames in?

I would just suggest going with a completely different color for the outline color. A gold next to another gold will just be too close.
How thick do you plan on doing the outline color - 1/16", 1/8" ?

Chevman

The tank is going black. The flames I want gold. I'm stenciling the flames then clearing. So just gold over black

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Okay so no gold outline. Sounds like you'll just paint the flames gold. So you'll have gold flames and a black base.
I would just choose a nice gold metallic and spray it directly over the black then. Choose a finer metallic gold as this will cover better than a coarse metallic gold.

Be careful not to get the edge too thick.

You can always spray this backwards and spray the tank gold. Let it sit a day. mask UP the flames, then paint the black around it.
Then you will have nice crisp edges. No worry about the metallic build up

Chevman

Ok sounds like gold will cover with no issues I'll give ghost flames a try maybe always open for a challenge.