fish eye trouble

TINMAN

WHAT IS THE MOST COMMON REASON TO GET FISH EYE IN YOUR CLEAR COAT? INSTALLED NOW FILTER ON COMPRESSOR AND USE IN LINE FILTER IN AIR LINE. STILL HAVE TROUBLE ANY INPUT WILL HELP !!! THANKS VINCE:sillyme:

fontgeek

More often than not the trouble is a dirty or poorly prepared painting surface. All it takes is a little skin oil to make paint shy away from an area (create a fisheye).
Make sure the area is completely cleaned, scuffed if it needs to be, and wiped down with a tack rag and then with alcohol before you go to paint it.
On rare occasions it might be a bad batch of paint, but the key term here is "on rare occasions.

jdean

not being of a violent nature, I,ve almost killed neighbors cleaning their cars w/ armorol. silicone based products are the scourge of all painters, as silicone molecules are so tiny they can travel over eminence distances on air current up to a 1/4 mile. wd-40 ? no different . they can not be far enough away from your paint area. At one time I experienced the crater covered clear coat nightmare on several occasions. after banging my head relentlessly on the wall , I found the problem came from a trucking co. next door. the particles in the diesel fuel traveled several hundred ft, through the intake and air make up system, weaseled their way through the intake ceiling filters and comfortably rested on a job in progress. Clear coats have always been more prone to problems due to contaminants than color/ base coats. fish eyes are by far the mot difficult problem you can have while painting . finding the source can drive you to insanity and bouts of paranoia (some one in the shop has to screwing with me). seriously, Ive had that cross my mind. correcting the problem usually is through the process of elimination. If its not coming from the vehicle, there can be dozens of other sources.

bogdan

Buy a glossy photo paper, I'm using the cheapest what I can buy. The idea - they are clean.

1. Compressor.
Spray on the paper air from compressor for a minute or two then spray a paint coat and look if you have fish eye.

2. Rugs
Sometimes rugs are contaminated with chemicals.
Take a new sheet of paper and wipe the surface using wax and grease remover then spray a paint on it.

3. Environment
Tape one sheet of a paper somewhere in working area for a day or longer and spray ...

Couple of years back my wife brought a dashboard cleaner and she was happily using it giving me a big headache with fish eyes. I always put somewhere in the shed a sheet of a paper and before I spray a car I do test spray on the paper to find out is safe to spray or I need take an extra care for it. You can add anti-silicone additive it will not completely remove the problem but it really helps to deal with it.

Last edited:

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Are you getting fisheyes consistently over the complete paint job? Top surfaces only? Or just areas here and there?

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Knowing which one will help quite a bit.

The other members have some great input!

bondofreak

not being of a violent nature, I,ve almost killed neighbors cleaning their cars w/ armorol. silicone based products are the scourge of all painters, as silicone molecules are so tiny they can travel over eminence distances on air current up to a 1/4 mile. wd-40 ? no different . they can not be far enough away from your paint area. At one time I experienced the crater covered clear coat nightmare on several occasions. after banging my head relentlessly on the wall , I found the problem came from a trucking co. next door. the particles in the diesel fuel traveled several hundred ft, through the intake and air make up system, weaseled their way through the intake ceiling filters and comfortably rested on a job in progress. Clear coats have always been more prone to problems due to contaminants than color/ base coats. fish eyes are by far the mot difficult problem you can have while painting . finding the source can drive you to insanity and bouts of paranoia (some one in the shop has to screwing with me). seriously, Ive had that cross my mind. correcting the problem usually is through the process of elimination. If its not coming from the vehicle, there can be dozens of other sources.

Good post.

My biggest problem has always been bugs and trash.....

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
.....another source....very, very, tiny chips that still have wax in them. Normally on the front of the hood, roof or a bumper.

slickpaint

I wash my vehicles with TIDE detergent and hot water, after watersanding. Alchohal prep just before paint kills static and cleans too.