First-time poster with a few questions.

Seawolf

Just thought I would jump in to say hi and ask a few questions.
I've been a professional autobody repair technician and painter for the past 29 years. Currently we only do collision repair but I'm thinking it might be time to diversify and branch out into custom painting. The paint system
that I use exclusively is PPG and I have no experience with House of Kolor products.
That being said I have a few questions;
1. Can I use PPG's DP-LF sealers and DBC basecoat colors and then put HOK Kandies on top of that? ( I have plenty of PPG colors in stock, might as well use them if I can unless there's just no comparison between HOK and
PPG colors.)
2. Can I use PPG's DCU 2042 clear over HOK Kandies?
3. Can PPG's DT line of reducers be used in HOK's colors and Kandies?
My local paint supplier says yes to those questions EXCEPT for using the DT reducers in HOK products.
When I look at the HOK web site it says this, "Do not mix other companies products with House of Kolor's products, as many have proven to be incompatible. This includes other companies' primers, sealers, reducers and
clears."
I really doubt my local guys have first-hand experience actually using HOK products so if anyone here can give me a definite yes or no to these questions it would be appreciated.
Also, which is the best way to buy the Kandies, by the quart or concentrated? There may not be any difference but again my paint supply guy was pushing for the quart cans.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Great site Scott, thanks for providing it.

Last edited:

WildDuke

Hi Seawolf,

I am not an expert, however I believe Kandies can be painted over any brand as long as you you use the same brand base. Therefore if I were you, I would buy the Kandy concentrates from HOK and then mix it with PPG clear base coat and then use PPG reducers to the consistency that you require. This will also allow you to use PPG clearcoat without compatibility issues.

I was wondeing if you can have a look at my post regarding painting with pearls. I plan on using PPG paints too. Do you have any PPG tips (things that work well/things that dont, etc.)? I have two jobs to do now and both will be done Pearl White, and the other Pearl Blue.

Last edited:
T

TAZ

To both of you, welcome to the new forum! As you can see it was 'pretty' successful on my business site (not bad at all for charging to subscribe), but I decided to move it to it's own domain. It is now free to register, post and upload...I still have alot of work to do to the site, but I'm sure it will be a success, once it's all done (should be about 3 weeks to a month). I didn't want to leave the forum stagnate, so I decided to just let people post and reply.
It will take a while to pick up, but I'm sure it will!!!
Thanks for the compliment though!

Don't forget, if you don't like the look of the forum, you can change the look on the lower left hand corner. You can also change the complete default look in your User Control Panel.

--Anyway, don't know if I can help you out too much, but I have sprayed HOK over DBC and also over Global with no problems.

--I have also used PPG sealers, but no longer do. Can't even remember the number

---Haven't tried the PPG reducers. I would think they would be fine, but not positive on this. I know you have the PPG reducers, but you'll find the HOK aren't that expensive

---I use both the quarts and the KK.

overall, I think you will find the HOK line pretty inexpensive compared to the PPG line. I know a quart of bright red HOK will run about $50, whereas, a PINT of PPG runs about $70.

WildDuke
You might want to just mix the HOK KK with the SG-100. Pretty cheap, and it's the same brand

I'll take a look at your PPG and pearl question later tonight

Seawolf

Thanks for your replies guys.
WildDuke,check your thread for my reply.
Scott,yes you're right. HOK reducers aren't priced that high so I was already planning on using them. As for the colors I've only checked the prices on one or two so far but yes, PPG colors, especially reds can be ridiculous.

crashfixer

I have used other companies primers,sealers and basecoats under candy before many times and have no issues that I know of.I normally do not use the KK's but use the UK Kandys and sometimes use a clearcoat that is not House of Kolor and havent had any issues that come to mind.

I have a 91 Nissan painted with the following for an example.

Primer = Autocolor
Sealer = Autocolor
Basecoat = Autocolor
Kandy= Kandy Pagen Gold (House of Kolor UK Seriese)
ClearCoat= Matrix MS-53

I use the Nexa Autocolor line at my shop for collision repair and that is why it is the main product used.I custom mixed the silver base and then sprayed the Kandy.About the time I was painting the truck,I was given a few gallons of Matrix clear to try so I sprayed it on my truck.The truck has been painted for about 2 years and looks as good as it did the day it was sprayed.

fleabag

Color Horizons custom finishes from SEM will intermix with all of your PPG products and you won't have to worry about learning how to spray a new system. All of our products are concentrates so intermixing is easy. Use DBC500 for mixing and you can use your primer/sealers and clears.

thanks
Ron "fLEa" Fleenor
COLOR HORIZONS manager
SEM PRODUCTS

Mulepick

I think you're fine so long as you use HOK catalysts and reducers with the paint/clear. I quit using HOK primer long ago but usually use their stuff for everything else.

Bob

Seawolf

Thanks for the reply guys, I'll have to look into that fleabag.
Mulepick, my only question would be if PPG's catalysts and reducers aren't compatable with HOK, would HOK's catalysts and reducers be compatable with PPG's products?

Mulepick

You know, I can't definitively say that the two brands are incompatible whichever way you go. If you've got PPG laying all around (as I do HOK), get a little HOK and try it.

I know HOK says "use nothing but our stuff" but I'm sure (from my experience w/Diamont primer) that exceptions are sometimes OK. If there were to be any incompatibilities I believe it would be in the reactions between the catalysts and the other stuff.

I don't think anyone has the time or $ to develop a true experiment to gauge the compatibility, especially when the result can be subjective.

Bob