First Time Help

A

Ace Wild

I have a motorcycle I am interested in re-painting. I have experience using airbrushes and spraying paint for R/C models cars, but not on anything large scale like a motorcycle. I looked at a house of kolor pant catalog today at a local paint supply house. Outside of showing me the catalog, they were not much help.

I would like to paint my bike using the paint on it as the base coat and follow the same lines. I would like to have the black paint on the bike end up black or dark cobalt blue with a blue metallic look to it, and go over the turquoise color with something that gives me a royal blue with a metallic look also. I noticed in the house of kolor catalog there were a lot of references to different systems with hardeners, and thinners etc. I don’t know what I need to achieve the look I want without getting too complicated and or pricey. Any other companies paint such as PPG that are easier to work with I am also interested in. Any suggestions?

T

TAZ

Were you wanting to use the original colors as a base (groundcoat) for candy colors or completely go with a new color scheme and wiping out the old colors with the same lines?

A

Ace Wild

I was wondering about using the original colors as a groundcoat, if not I would just do a flame job.

A

Ace Wild

I have another question regarding this paint job I am contemplating. I decided for the amount of effort required to do this I will do a flame job. My big concern is on my bike (Honda Shadow) the pinstriping is actually a decal that is under the paint. Although it is factory it has a huge edge. My concern is how do I remove the decal to get rid of the edge without leaving a crater?

T

TAZ

Hello,
You should strip the sides down to metal by feather edging the paint (you should do this using a DA sander). Then you will need to prime this area with a good primer. Blocking and possibly re-priming will ensure straightness.

A

Ace Wild

OK I give up, what is a DA sander?
smile.gif

T

TAZ

Oops! Sorry--DA stands for "Dual Action" which is basically an air tool that sands in circles, but in that circle, it does another circle. This is what creates a feathering result.

Here is a photo of a Hutchins like the one I use.

<center>
Dcp00377.jpg
</center>

R

RaVeN

becareful priming over that factory paint it will lift if your not careful and it will be messy