First painting attempt (noob)

chopolds

Depends on the size of the tank (Triumph or Harley Fat Bobs?), and the type of paint, sometimes the color of what's underneath.
Base/Clear, count on a pint of color, (you'll probably use less, but better to have a bit too much, than run out!)and maybe 2 pints of clear, if you have an HVLP gun, they waste less. Solid color enamel? Probably half a quart or so, extra coats needed for sanding and buffing. Lacquer? I'd get a full quart, you need to put on many more coats than enamel, and still need to sand and buff it.
You can save a bit of color, if you are painting over a similarly colored primer or sealer. I've used only an ounce or so of black, putting it over a black primer, and then clearcoating it, so none it gets sanded off.
Also, some colors are more transparent and need more coats to cover well. Sometimes twice as much material. Pearls, red metallic, greens, golds. To save paint,, again, use a similarly tinted color sealer/primer.
Cheaper versions of paints (Nason vs. regular Dupont) usually need more material to get full color, as well.

tonybill

So a rule if thumb would be 1 part paint to 2 colour? The guns I'm looking to buy are LVLP. Should I be looking at HVLP? I'm still working out what I need to set up. My first attempt will be on a kymko 125 tank. Nothing major just a straight up paint and clear.

chopolds

I figure 1 part color, to 1 1/2 parts clear. But if buying is small amounts, as for a motorcycle...
Gun selection is personal. Use what you like, or what you have, or what you can afford. Here in the US, there has been a push, and even laws to regulate paint and it's use. Places have mandated use of low VOC paint systems, water borne paint, and HVLP guns, to reduce the amount of waste going into the air.
HVLP's do have the advantage of using much less material, so you can save money, as paint is becoming so **** expensive!