First paint in about 25 years

wayneh

Been lurking her awhile, soaking up as much as I could and decided to post my own current project.
First a little (ancient) history. Many years ago I ran a body shop. Did a few custom jobs and a few vintage showcars in addition to the usual fair. Mostly old school type stuff, graphics, old school flames, etc. Bought a new Yamaha Star Stryker last December and decided I wanted to make it my own. In late Feb. I picked up an airbrush for the first time in about 25+ years and started to practice with waterborne colors indoors. Last week I was out of work due to the wife recuperating from surgery and decided to start the bike project. All the paint tech has changed drastically since I held a gun and boy is it taking a bit of getting used to. Back then lacquer was the choice for custom stuff and base/clear 2 part paints were just being developed.
Here's a few photos of what I got done so far. Everything done in HOK. The fender was an aftermarket blank that I cut and prepped, the chin scoop is fiberglass.
Hope you enjoy and thanks to everyone for all the information that's shared here.

fender1.jpgfender2.jpgscoop1.jpgscoop2.jpgside.jpg

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome.
Sure didn't take you long to get back into the swing of things. :haha:
Great job!

wayneh

Welcome.
Sure didn't take you long to get back into the swing of things. :haha:
Great job!

Thanks Taz. There are any number of flaws I see but overall it's turning out pretty well. I learning how to deal with this new paint tech and a couple of times shooting the clear I thought I'd have the whole thing on the floor! A lot different from spraying Acrylic enamel and Lacquer with a siphon gun! Got one small run in the side of the fender that should be pretty easy to deal with (most of it's behind the fork anyway). that will get sanded and polished. The other parts look fine as they are and will get bolted on. Got the rear fender, tank and a bullet faring to do next. The big in your face parts, so I did my practicing with these as they are less conspicuous!

wayneh

Thanks guys. Got a bit more done. Picked up a used tank so that I can keep riding the bike while I'm doing the painting. It had a bit of amateur bodywork and a rattlecan paint job so I stripped it back to bare metal, filled as needed and got it into epoxy primer.

tank1.jpg tank2.jpg

Also prepped the fairing.

fairing.jpg fairing.jpg

Shot the sealer and black base yesterday followed by a coat of inter-coat clear. Starting the artwork this morning. Hopefully everything will go smoothly and I can clear them mid week.

fairing.jpg tank2.jpg

Been a long time since I've done this kind of stuff but so far it's going well.

wayneh

Here's the bike as it sits now. Lots of mods since I bought it last Dec. Should look great when the rest of the paint job is finished.

front1.jpg

front2.jpg

right.jpg

wayneh

Fairing artwork finished

Got the artwork on the fairing completed today. 7 hours with an airbrush whew! Ended up being a bit more intense than I originally anticipated, guess I got a little carried away. I'm really pleased with the results, the colors are awesome. Hopefully I can get to the tank sometime this week. Just have to scuff out the inter-coat clear on the fairing and spray the final catalyzed clear, cut and buff. Getting closer!

skullfinal.jpg skullfinal2.jpg cleared1.jpg

Damian400

Very nice and informative post ,Thanks to you for sharing the information. In market there are a lot of machines to use for paints of the things,You can paints our bikes ,wood crockery and other things. We can use the machines for floor stripping.In European countries it is very common,Floor stripping Solutions.

Last edited:

wayneh

Well the bike is finished and I set up a couple of lights and a backdrop to take a few pics Sat. morning. I am pleased with the outcome and learned a little more through each piece. Hope you like it. Here's a few quick edits from the shoot._MG_4993edit.jpg_MG_5008edit.jpg_MG_5026edit.jpg_MG_5039edit.jpg_MG_5043edit.jpg_MG_5046edit.jpg_MG_5055.jpg_MG_5080edit.jpgtanktop.jpg

wayneh

Thanks Stan. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Can't stop anywhere without drawing a small crowd LOL.

Guitar@Painter

That is some total bad-assery! I am just getting back into it myself after an almost 20 year hiatus from painting. I repair and customize guitars in my pawn shop and doing a refin. Trying to get used to HVLP guns at the moment. :)