First go at Marbleizing

801Rider

mando_3_7.jpg

mando_3_8.jpg

801Rider

Thanks and yes it is. The grey side is pretty bumpy, the side with the Kandy came out a bit smoother, I'm sure the additional layers of Kandy helped out with that. It was just for a customer to get an idea, but I may cut, re-clear, cut and buff it, just to check it out :D

grichardson152

Looks really good! If you get a chance to play around with it, try Tin Foil instead of plastic......Bad ass looking, looks real jagged

grich, interesting using tin foil....haven't seen that before. Do you have any photos of that? And how are you applying that? (rolled up on a dowel or just crumpled into a ball)

grichardson152

dont have any pic's on this computer but im doin a panel for my daughter this weekend. I'll post some pic's of what it looks like using foil. Basically, I tear off a good sized sheet, crumple it up, then un-crumple it. after I spray on the marbleizer, I lay the foil over top just like you would with plastic. then I tap around the foil a little and wha-lha. makes a pretty sweet design.

dixiethedog

Im liking the look of this thread! Ive never tried marbelizer paint,but would fancy trying it out sometime soon. Keep up the good work,and please keep the pics coming!

801Rider

Just to clarify, I didn't actually use the 'marbleizer' I just shot some HOK Orion Silver and wrinkled it with a plastic bag, then came in w/the HOK Tangerine

dixiethedog

WOW! I would have not thought of that. Its got me itching to go get the spray gun out and give it a try. When spraying the silver,was there anything "special" you had to do,(lay it wetter than normal,or anything else?). Also,and excuse my ignorance (ive never tried this(yet!)),did the plastic bag leave the level of the paint on the surface uneven?? What i wondering about is if the dragged paint could cause the equivalent of runs and sags with paint movement???
Blimey (as they say in England!) (god**** in the US??),your an inspiration!!!

DonDada469

801Rider...that came out sick! Can you give me the steps you took?
I have a burnt orange bike, I was planing on just wet-sanding the clear, and then reducing down a rootbeer ppg solvent and hitting it with plastic to do my marble effect. But now that I see your result with a kandy, I'm wondering if I'm going about this the wrong way.

801Rider

801Rider...that came out sick! Can you give me the steps you took?
I have a burnt orange bike, I was planing on just wet-sanding the clear, and then reducing down a rootbeer ppg solvent and hitting it with plastic to do my marble effect. But now that I see your result with a kandy, I'm wondering if I'm going about this the wrong way.

All I did was over reduce some Orion Silver so it would take longer to flash off. This gave me the time to texture it with a wrinkled plastic bag. After it flashed off, I came in with Kandy Tangerine ;)

DonDada469

So you candied over the silver base with out clearing first?
Just wondering what would work best for me to achieve the look I'm shooting for.