Fiberglass Tank Shells/Blanks for Display???

A

Anthony

Hey Gang,
I don't know how many of you might read all the other art mags, particularly Auto Graphics Mag.

Craig Fraser did a how to article using "Fiberglass Tank Shells" to do his samples on because he didn't have any actual tanks available. The unfortunate thing was that he didn't make mention of where these products can be found.

I did a search on Ebay as well as Google and I didn't have any luck.

Anyone know where they can be bought and roughly how much? I'm attending the Vegas getaway this week and when I leave, I will be fired up to do some sample pieces and flat panel work just won't cut it. I know customers would want to see art with some shape and not on a sign blank.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

LudicrousSpeed

I would think that it would be easy to make a tank half.

Get a tank and apply mold release, about seven coats. Apply it like wax, then remove. Don't touch the part with your fingers. Then lay a sheet of wet fiberglass over one half of the tank, roll ot the air, let it kick. Brace the part up with wood or something similar, and remove the tank. You now have a mold. Use this to make your tank blanks......

A little more difficult than that, but you get the idea....

Bornhard

at a Tampa Hot Rod show the DuPont rep there had some displays made showcasing fiberglass stretched gas tank halves.

I too, have spent many hours searching the net, but I know a local guy who does some metal fab. for me and he's real handy with fiberglass, so I'm just going to give him a stretched metal gas tank to make a mold from it.
great way to display your work and they're lite!

IF ANYBODY HAS A LINK FOR FIBERGLASS TANK HALVES, PLEASE SHARE!

D

DDG

Call this place in Cali.
Bob's Auto & Equipment
209-722-2790
They are about $30 after shipping.
I use them and are very good quality.
Dirt

Bornhard

I called Bob's Auto & Equipment the other day and order 2 of those tank halves to start with. Very nice people on the phone!

A guy there told me that they gell coat the fiberglass, so that the surface is very smooth. All you need to do is some minor scuffing, spray a thin primer/sealer coat down and basecoat. The rest is up to your imagination.

I'll give an update on this product once they come in.

Add some info you if you got any on these tank halves.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yikes02.gif <<<<that's a cool graemlin

Bornhard

I got my black gel-coated fiberglass tank shells in today & they look well worth the money if you are going to use them for advertising purposes.

They are stretched, custom tank designs and very lite. I'm in the process of epoxing some mount to the interior of the tank to mount them on display racks.

There are some lite scratch marks and some adhesive on the tank shells, so clean and prep sand them before priming them in a thin coat.
I'll post pics of them painted when I spray 'em.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sunglass.gif