Few question about painting..

Giangio91

Hi, i'm just diy my car wheels.
I bought the paint from a uk website (i don't know if i can write what website) and cause i'm a idiot, i forget the reducer..
The question is: Is the reducer ( thinner ) all the same?
I don't know what kind of paint i bought.. i can show you the label..

https://ibb.co/dnaa5k

Ps. Sorry for my english..

Gianluca

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
If that is a bright aluminum type paint like Alsa Corp carries, it will already come reduced.
Have you opened the bottle yet? I can't imagine paint in a bottle like that being as thick as normal paint is.

By the way, the Alsa paint does not use a reducer, I believe it's thinned with alcohol.
When you spray it you're supposed to let it sit overnight before clearing. I've tried clearcoating the same day and it doesn't retain the same brightness.

Giangio91

Hi Taz,
It's just base black for the first layer..
This is what say the instructions on the website:

-Start by prepping your project as you would any other paint job. (Sand, Prime, etc.)
-Mix Base 2-1 with Reducer and stir well.
Apply 2-3 coats Leave 10-15 minutes betwe... etcetera

I just want to know if the reducer o thinner (i don't know if are the same thing)it's all the same and if is possible, the chemical name, 'cause isn't always easy to translate chemical products and other things in italian..

Thanks Taz and sorry again for my bad english

Gianluca

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I've been painting 25+ years and to be honest I'm not for sure the difference between 'reducer' and 'thinner'.
I always used thinners for the lacquers and Amer-Flint which I believe was an old school urethane.
Reducers for enamels, urethanes...

If I had to guess and it was a last resort, i would say it would be fine as long as you use a good grade thinner.
After all it's made to lay on the paint and then it evaporates. So as long as it mixes okay, it should be fine. Again, as long as you use a good grade
Don't use a wash thinner or a gun cleaner thinner.

Giangio91

I didn t know there is gun cleaner thinner.. i used common thinner for everything.. anyway, thanks for the advise Taz. I'll post my work when i will do.

Gianluca

Giangio91

Hi all, i have another question for you guys..
I sprayed the filler and then sanded.. but this is the finishing:

Do you suggest to continue to spray the base coat or sand again? I don't wanna the orange peel!
Thank again, sorry for my english and my noob questions

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming you mean 'primer' and not filler, it appears that certain areas did not stick.
Is the silver areas that I see bare metal? and the other is the primer?

Giangio91

Hi Taz, yes are both primer and filler.. Nope the silver areas is where the sand block "arrive to touch" and the black where it isn't.
It isn't very smooth.. i'm scared if after paint it the surface remains irregular..

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, okay, looks like you'll still need to sand. Remember if you can feel it to the touch, you'll be able to see it in the paint surface. you want that surface VERY smooth.
You probably put the primer on rough so that makes it require more sanding. If you don't have enough primer on there,you may end up priming again. If you do, reduce the primer a little more and put it on smoother

Giangio91

Thanks again Taz the problem was few reducer for sure..or ambient too hot. (I remember 27 -28 C°) i'll follow your advices!

Gianluca