Fatboy fender

T

TAZ

Anybody know the difference (if any) between a pre '99 fatboy front fender and a 2000 and up fatboy front fender. They look the same.
Hopefully there isn't a difference.
Thanks in advance!

rex

I don't see why there would be,did you run into a different part #?I don't know of a change to the fork legs so it will bolt up ok (at least it should).I know the '02s went wider in the rear but the front should still all be the same ol' same ol'.

T

TAZ

Rex,
They do look exactly same, but every catalog you see, they say -99 (nothing mentioned about -02).
I called a local H-D and they said that it should work, but was not for sure.
Thanks!

rex

Hmm,kind of odd.I need to pick up mine at my wrench's Saturday and stop by Harley,so I'll do some digging for you.Let you know what I come up with.

ezrider

Scott, according to the HD parts catalog it should fit 86- Presant FL models. and for all you bike painters, the motor company changed the softail rear fenders for 2003, just a little something i discovered purchasing some HD tin during this week so rear fenders fit 2000 - 2002 and thats it, they keep making these small changes to keep ahead of the after market companies

T

TAZ

Thanks EZ,
There going to be like the car companies now. Every 2-4 years, a design change so the parts are not interchangable alike you said, to keep ahead of the aftermarket companies.

I got an email from a guy that said the Fatboy fender would work, but I would need washers to center the fender.
Sounds like to me the 2000 and up Fatboy fork must be slightly wider (but will still fit with a few washers used for shims).

That would be great Rex if you could check with the guys at your H-D when you pick up your bike.

Possibly someone can get a measurement from the inside of the bottom lip edge to the other inside edge off of a Fatboy fender that is off of a 2000 and up bike.

ezrider

Just, shipped a 2001 a couple of weeks ago wish i could see the future. just use caution ,even the parts catalog is known for mistakes like the sporty bobtail fender incadent 2 years ago, they said it would fit 98 - presant and it actually fit 99 - presant ( the new style circut board tail lights )

rex

By the sounds of it they narrowed the forks.Stupid idea but I'll let you know what I discover tomarrow.

ezrider

Scott, 2000 and up front ends do carry a diffrent part # than pre 2000 front ends, they did change the axle diamater and the new brakes but i believe the upper section is the same. a friend of mine changed his 96 to a 2000 brakes using his original fender, he just bought the new calipers and lower legs and machined a new axle.i know FX models still use the same front fenders. but they may have changed the off set of the wheel

rex

Sorry Scott,I never made it to Harley today.My wrench didn't know of any change either.I only have a 2001 Harley catolog and it's no help.Corbin and Ness say their front will fit both,but I still see post and pre on others.I'm curious now so I'll dig some more this week.

Joe,any idea what they did to the 03s?The Dyna went wider in 02 and heard they all did,and I see quite a few new ones around with a wider rear tire.

ezrider

Rex ,2002 softails ran 140's in the rear and i am told by a dealer who i was trying to get some tin from that the 2003's run a 150 and they tried installing a 2002 custom paint set and the wireing is routed a diffrent way through the fender and would have to be modified, or at least thats what they are telling me. a friend of mine has a 2001 fat boy and put the 150 wide tire kit on and then put on detachable saddle bags and then had to remove them and buy a new 150 tire it made a mess out of the side wall. i guess 150 tires dont leave much clearance in stock width fenders
confused.gif
i run an Avon 140 on my Fx Softail with hidden hardware fender struts and its a real tight fit, but it works.

T

TAZ

Thanks Rex!
Let me know what you can dig up.
I went ahead and painted a 2000 and up tank, 2000 and up rear fnd. and the '99 front fender. No graphics yet though. Sounds like from everyone's posts, that they are the same, but would like to hear what you have to say when you get your Fatboy back.

Thanks for everyone's help!

rex

Oops,sorry again Scot,I have a WideGlide.I got mine back yesterday but I didn't get a chance to get to Harley before they closed.Rossiters in Sarasota is pretty decent,but I won't let a dealer touch my bike.Thunder Action in Port Charlotte is the only one I really trust.You got my curiosity going on this one though.

Joe,thanx for the info.I have a 140 VenomX on mine and it just misses the belt (93).A Metzler 140 ME880 rubs though.I was considering getting the newer fender and going wider,but I really don't want to move the frame struts and I ride too much to want to deal with a chain.I love the rubber mounts,but they do pose a few hurtles for customizing.Thanx again.

rex

Scott,still haven't had a straight answer.It's either they're different or they will work,but I can't get an explanation.

T

TAZ

freak.gif

Rex,
We'll get it figured out one way or another. I appreciate your effort though!!!

T

TAZ

Oops! I should have replied quite a while ago...The fenders are the same!!!
bounce.gif

ezrider

Scott, did you ever find out a definate answer on the Fat Boy front fenders? i have to pick up a front fender to piece together a complete set. Just wondering, big swap meet this weekend.