Faint clear coat line

I am using FDGH paint which is required on the aircraft that I am working on. Well due to budget contraints I need to save as much as I can and am trying to avoid re-clearing an entire panel after a composite repair and base coat. I try to blend the clear coat as much as possible so I don't have much of a hard line to wet sand out. However after cutting and buffing I still get a faint line that when held in the right light you can really see. I wetsand down to 3000 and buff it out like normal. You can't feel an edge of the paint or anything and it has an immaculate shine. However still see the blend line. Any ideas of how I can get ride of these blend line. I can't get a picture of it at all. Just dosen't show up.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you'll need to reblend the clear or unless you got into the basecoat. Then you'll need to reblend both.
If it's just the clear, resand the area quite a bit larger than you plan on blending possibly with 1500. Then blend your clear and work it out with even more over-reduced clear. Normally a slow reducer in your blend or even a blending reducer.
Then when you buff, make sure you go very easy on it. You also have to 'work this in'

timberjkd

I have a similar problem. I have a set of stretched bags for my harley. I cut them to mount a set of "flush mount LED lights" in. I sanded them all down to the point where you cannot feel where the edge of the lens stops and the fiberglass bag begins - bondo-ed, epoxy primed, and based them...no edge...clear coated..no edge...wet sanded...cleared again (3 more coats of HOK uc35)..no edge...wet sanded with 1000, 2000...no edge...buffed out...BAM!!..EDGE??? what the hell? HELP...Sorry didnt mean to hijack...but this is the same issue as above ( i think). Thanks in advance.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I have a similar problem. I have a set of stretched bags for my harley. I cut them to mount a set of "flush mount LED lights" in. I sanded them all down to the point where you cannot feel where the edge of the lens stops and the fiberglass bag begins - bondo-ed, epoxy primed, and based them...no edge...clear coated..no edge...wet sanded...cleared again (3 more coats of HOK uc35)..no edge...wet sanded with 1000, 2000...no edge...buffed out...BAM!!..EDGE??? what the hell? HELP...Sorry didnt mean to hijack...but this is the same issue as above ( i think). Thanks in advance.

Since you are doing a small spot, you only need to clearcoat once. Blend the base, blend the clear, let dry. Wetsand the main area and then lightly sand around the blend area. Then buff the area.
But in your case, I'm assuming the lights are on the back of the bag. Why not just backtape around the 3 edges (backside, bottom and frontside). Then just blend your base, then clearcoat the complete rear of the bag. No blend necessary. Remove the tape on the 3 edges as soon as you are done so the clear will 'roll' and not leave a sharp hard edge. Don't apply more than two decent coats.

timberjkd

Since you are doing a small spot, you only need to clearcoat once. Blend the base, blend the clear, let dry. Wetsand the main area and then lightly sand around the blend area. Then buff the area.
But in your case, I'm assuming the lights are on the back of the bag. Why not just backtape around the 3 edges (backside, bottom and frontside). Then just blend your base, then clearcoat the complete rear of the bag. No blend necessary. Remove the tape on the 3 edges as soon as you are done so the clear will 'roll' and not leave a sharp hard edge. Don't apply more than two decent coats.

This is what I am talking about. Its so hard to see in pics. Its where the lens material meets the fiberglass material. ****s bc it did not show up until I buffed. You can feel the tiniest ridge. Im afraid to sand anymore, but there is literally 6 coats of clear on this thing. Advice? And thanks TAZ for the input not sure if this clears it up or not.
bikes 072.jpg

Last edited:

timberjkd

Thanks TAZ. Will attempt to re-clear this weekend. I shouldnt have to redo the base. The edge is showing in the clear. But its a definitive line.