Epoxy primer or filler application first on bare tins??

chaoscc

Just want to get everyone's opinion on something. I've talked to those who primer bare metal with epoxy, then apply filler so entire metal surface has good protection. Then I've also talked to those who apply the filler first to areas that need repair before the epoxy primer because they say the filler is made to chemically bond to the bare metal. I've always applied filler first and haven't had any problems, but looking to get advice from those who have more years than me in body work. Thanks,

sure

I only epoxy first if its aluminmum. It really is personallly prefernce. I do fill work on stamped steal parts w/out epoxy priming first,and I too have never had an issue.

chaoscc

Thanks,
ya I finally found some time to do some research and found out a lot!! I see what you mean about personal preference . . .

rsresto

I 've been doing paint and body work for 34 years.I've done metal both ways,without primer and with primer before I apply filler.I can tell you I think a good coat of direct-to-metal epoxy primer is best for large areas because surface rust will happen most time before you get the filler worked.I only use 1 primer in my shop DTM 2000 by Valspar.I do rare muscle cars and have had no problems with this method.In case you guys have never heard of Valspar just look at your HOK can it 's made by Valspar oldest paint company in USA. Thanks for a great site I'm also new here. Rick Smith Restorations